U.K. Bank accounts after 31/12/2020

Timoth

Re: U.K. Bank accounts after 31/12/2020

Post by Timoth »

What are the implications of using a friend’s address for bank mail? One is not resident, not on the electoral register. What would one have to prove to the bank? Is it legal?

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Seen on another forum "Someone who works for Barclaycard said " just put a UK address on your details page, that's all they want"

Apart from a card renewal I don't get anything in snail mail from Barclaycard - it's all done online- email contact etc.

I've already changed my details to a family member's address, the contact email is now an old UK email address that I kept and the mobile contact is a UK mobile number starting 07 that we have checked rings and texts when called from the UK, for the security code.

How can they check thousands of addresses to see if you live there? Even if they use the electoral roll, if you opt out of the edited register,the full register is available for inspection at the electoral office and at local libraries but it can only be copied by hand.

Is it legal? Who cares, what can they do if it isn't? Close the account? - that's where all this started!
Last edited by Fitter on Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"It’s easier to fool people than to prove to them that they were fooled"
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

Thanks for your reply Tom.
Northern Soul - Keep The Faith

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

Hal

Post by Hal »

I wonder how many of the people I read about wailing and gnashing their teeth that they are being cut off by the UK banking system voted, or symapthised, 'leave'..? I further wonder how many moaning and voted/sympathised 'leave' applied for and received Irish passports...?

ajm

Post by ajm »

Captain Morgan wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:17 pm
Article today on the same subject
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/ ... ays-brexit
No mention of Lloyd's contacting customers in France or Spain. Fingers well and truly crossed.
"If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself."Mae West.

Headers

Post by Headers »

Hal wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:59 pm
I wonder how many of the people I read about wailing and gnashing their teeth that they are being cut off by the UK banking system voted, or symapthised, 'leave'..? I further wonder how many moaning and voted/sympathised 'leave' applied for and received Irish passports...?
Not as many as those who voted remain or didn’t get the chance to vote. But that is beside the point really isn’t it? We are facing a period of uncertainty in which to take action and the consequences for some could be life changing through no fault of their own.

Those whose banks aren’t closing their accounts will need to keep a very close eye on things as the EU forces the move of Euro derivative trading out of London by June 2022 on top of which London is now seen as a dodgy banking centre which is happy to money launder.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Timoth wrote:
Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:22 pm
What are the implications of using a friend’s address for bank mail? One is not resident, not on the electoral register. What would one have to prove to the bank? Is it legal?
It depends on the question the bank ask and whether you are giving an honest answer. It is quite possible at some time in the future the bank will ask for prove you live that address.

Don't forget you will need to tell the bank you are taxed in France so the bank can make a declaration to the French tax office an to declare the account in France on form 3916.

jsks

Post by jsks »

To open an account at a new bank the money laundering regs require not only proof of ID but proof of address too. So you need utility bills or equivalent in the name of the account holder.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

"It depends on the question the bank ask and whether you are giving an honest answer. It is quite possible at some time in the future the bank will ask for prove you live that address."

It's also perfectly possible to be living at a family member's address - many people who return to the UK do it, how do you prove that?

And, conflating the word "honest" with the particular bank I have been referring to just does not work for me!
"It’s easier to fool people than to prove to them that they were fooled"
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell