Birds of a feather.....

A place for some light-hearted chat.
clothmama

Re: Birds of a feather.....

Post by clothmama »

Aardvark wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:51 am
I don't know about yours but my hens can turn their heads around far enough to preen 90% of their bodies. That is enough to give them an idea what colour they are. 8-)
Yes mine too!
whyme? wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:31 pm
Yeah, I get that but whilst folk have pointed out the obvious colour thing, nobody has explained how they seem to pair up with the same breed, which was part of my OP.
I've never seen this so much as I've never bought in any hens other than my first 3 layers and the 2 silkies as broodies (then bought eggs). I find that each hatch stick together rather than colours, may be different if my flock was smaller / less groups of different ages.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

whyme? wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:31 pm
We have a black cross breed cou nu which, neck apart is pretty much identical to the now, two other black hens who don't seem to have anything to do with it but have quickly struck up a 'friendship' with each other.
The Cou Clucks Clan are very discriminating.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

mysty

Post by mysty »

Not sure about choocks but we have mirrors in the house and démon has been making avances to billy the cat Who has a willy. :lol:
I am sure if we had chooks he would hump them as well.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

:)
We had a pair of ducks who stayed on the pond all night, wouldn't go in the shed.
One morning the poor male was left alone - fox must have got his wife. He was very sad for a few days.
But eventually took up with one of the hens, and tried to mate with her which offended her cockerel.
They had a fight.
So like human behaviour.
I looked up whether a duck/hen combination could produce young and it said no.

clothmama

Post by clothmama »

TriciaF wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:06 pm
I looked up whether a duck/hen combination could produce young and it said no.
It can also be very dangerous for hens, when they mate the roo just squirts a bit of you know what on the outside of the vent. Ducks have a very alarming looking corkscrew willy and if they manage to get it in a hen can kill her. Shouldn't be kept as a lone duck with hens.