Re: who plans to go back

Post by exile »

jsks wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:36 pm
Mangetout wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:45 pm
jsks wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:48 pm

It really isn't. There are many parts of the 4 countries that aren't expensive. Just like France, if you avoid Paris, Lyon, Juan-les-Pins etc property is cheap. Similarly if you avoid London, Poole, Harrogate, Edinburgh etc there are some very affordable areas.
I’m willing to believe you if you can find me a 4 bed, 2 bathroomed house with an acre of garden and two massive garages which can accommodate at least 6 cars, just outside a village with its own shop, baker, butcher, doctor and hairdresser for 150k.
You need to look at Co Armagh, Wearside, NW Scotland and Co Roscommon (although that's in the Republic) amongst other places
I have lived near Weardale - just about 1000ft altitude - not a place to chose in winter or perhaps even summer. Bring on global warming.

NW Scotland? I have family there. It rains a lot. When it rains so much you cannot get on the first tee and the course is on a 1:15 hill you know that it gets wet. [ I didn't mention the midges. Do you think anyone noticed?]

I cannot make sensible comment aby the island of Ireland, but you previous choices suggest I should not expect nirvana.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Early 60’s. Had a place here for 20 years but only moved over permanently 5 years back. We have no intention of going back to UK, although never say never... Although we will move in 5 or 10 years time to somewhere with better access to healthcare, shops etc as here we are dependent on a car. And maybe come down from the mountains and go and live by the sea-side in western france.

jsks

Post by jsks »

exile wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:06 pm
jsks wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 6:36 pm
Mangetout wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:45 pm

I’m willing to believe you if you can find me a 4 bed, 2 bathroomed house with an acre of garden and two massive garages which can accommodate at least 6 cars, just outside a village with its own shop, baker, butcher, doctor and hairdresser for 150k.
You need to look at Co Armagh, Wearside, NW Scotland and Co Roscommon (although that's in the Republic) amongst other places
I have lived near Weardale - just about 1000ft altitude - not a place to chose in winter or perhaps even summer. Bring on global warming.

NW Scotland? I have family there. It rains a lot. When it rains so much you cannot get on the first tee and the course is on a 1:15 hill you know that it gets wet. [ I didn't mention the midges. Do you think anyone noticed?]

I cannot make sensible comment aby the island of Ireland, but you previous choices suggest I should not expect nirvana.
Armagh and Roscommon are very pretty but the whole point really is that "the UK" is a disparate place yet the same old thing about boxy houses and busy roads etc really doesn't apply across the islands

Not all of the UK conforms to the stereotype.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

But there is one stereotype that still applies. You can't get even a modest detached place for rural French money. I lived on a boat in UK because of house prices and high overheads. In France it has been like winning the lottery in terms of what I could afford and afford to keep.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Aardvark wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:09 pm
But there is one stereotype that still applies. You can't get even a modest detached place for rural French money. I lived on a boat in UK because of house prices and high overheads. In France it has been like winning the lottery in terms of what I could afford and afford to keep.
I think that is true. Even the most rural and unpopular areas in the UK seem to attract enough interest to keep prices higher than in the equivalent French areas. There doesn't seem to be the same loss of population to the cities,at least amongst younger folk.

Undoubtedly like for like (as far as that is possible) UK rural prices are higher with some exceptions such as the S Wales valleys. And areas of population density are more dispersed in France so the land area that could be defined as non-urban is much greater.

For me, taken in the round, if someone said you must live in either France or England my choice would be France. OTOH, like many of the Irish diaspora, what I really want is to go home; to end my days in the land of my birth and that of my forefathers but the realities make that a difficult sell. We came close in 2016/17.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

We're looking at halving the size of house, outbuildings and land. But it still won't be an urban box. If you can look out of commuting distance of a big city there are still affordable (sub £200k) houses around. We could have a gorgeous detached house for our budget, it's the added land that pushes the desirability up. Though they are being snapped up quickly :roll:
However our outgoings will decrease - car insurance for a start - take a huge chunk of our income.
For example - this needs a bit of work (not Mysty and AtS type work!) but what a beautiful house:
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-fo ... 41294.html
Last edited by Stompie on Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

We have been here for 16 years and love France and Brittany. But I also love the UK. Grandchildren are a big pull. Like Mangetout I don't fancy spending my final years in a Maison de Retaite. I don't fancy a UK one either. I am not sure what I would do if my wife were to go before me. My leanings would be to sell up and go back.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

I have no real connections to the UK anymore. My brother spends his time between there and Italy. My sister is still there but we can meet anywhere. My friends are very international..many are citizens of other EU countries and are good travelers or are returning. We no longer have property there and when the MIL dies that will be our last connection.

We have our interviews for naturalisation next week.

So no...going back isn't on the horizon. Nothing to go back for.

ANOther

Post by ANOther »

Lapourtaider wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 pm
I cannot for the life of me ever imagine wanting to move to the UK. Spain maybe but less likely now.
It's not well known about but there is a route for non EU citizens with permanent residency in one EU country to transfer to another.

A major caveat is that an application must be made BEFORE moving.
Brexit: ‘taking back’ what we had never lost in order to lose everything we had...

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

ANOther wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:54 am
Lapourtaider wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 5:00 pm
Spain maybe but less likely now.
It's not well known about but there is a route for non EU citizens with permanent residency in one EU country to transfer to another.

A major caveat is that an application must be made BEFORE moving.
Thanks AnO. Didn't know that, so useful to know about for the future.