who plans to go back

A place for some light-hearted chat.
SW31girl

Re: who plans to go back

Post by SW31girl »

Nope, I’m not going back. What would I go back to in the U.K.?

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Nifty wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:21 pm
My doc told me in the late ‘70s that the vale of the Tone was among the top spots for air pollution in England.
Not sure why that should be unless it is a sort of windless pocket, but it is also very flat. My taste was always for places well up in the hills, though.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

When we came to France 17 years ago we left our adult children behind, neither wanted to move with us. Our youngest daughter was only 8.

Since then of course we now have 4 grandchildren and I feel I've missed out so much of their growing up.

Except for them I do not want to go back, I couldn't handle houses like boxes, all very close together, the noise.....

However the thought of ending up in my 80s and being of poor health, perhaps my OH not being around and ending up in a maison de retrain frightens me. I don't think I want to end my days here🤔. So where does that leave me?

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

I think that besides topography and prevailing winds, or lack of, Taunton being a bottle-neck and British Cellophane at Bridgewater might have had something to do with it.

jsks

Post by jsks »

manonthemoon wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:47 pm
Except for them I do not want to go back, I couldn't handle houses like boxes, all very close together, the noise.....

Is that tunnel vision? I don't recognise that description in Northumberland, Fermanagh, Snowdonia, the Fens, Skye, the Dukeries, South Down, the Brecons. In fact lots of the UK isn't SE England or a big city.

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

There are many lovely areas without houses like boxes all around, even if there’s not a lot of capital to spend. Where we are in Berkshire there are lovely areas that don’t fit that description, although mostly at a price, but out in countryside in most areas there are good places to buy with countryside around and not overly expensive. We chose where we still live because we could just about afford it, it has good schools and countryside nearby - although some if it has mow bern built on.

If one of our sons and our granddaughters didn’t live nearby we would have moved to France full-time years ago, as we have a very pleasant life there and many friends - more of a social life than here, but would most likely have intended to return to the UK eventually. All the facilities one needs, especially on getting older, are close by and are of good quality.

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

I think it depends on your budget jsks. For many of us living in spacious countryside surroundings would be unachievable in the UK.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Mangetout wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:27 pm
I think it depends on your budget jsks. For many of us living in spacious countryside surroundings would be unachievable in the UK.
Yes exactly. If we were to go back, it would be in the area we left, Fareham in Hampshire as both our children still live there.

That's what we left behind, a 4 bedroom semi detached box with a postage stamp garden.

We would not be able to buy an affordable house.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Mangetout wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:27 pm
It really isn't. There are many parts of the 4 countries that aren't expensive. Just like France, if you avoid Paris, Lyon, Juan-les-Pins etc property is cheap. Similarly if you avoid London, Poole, Harrogate, Edinburgh etc there are some very affordable areas.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Nifty wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:49 pm
I think that besides topography and prevailing winds, or lack of, Taunton being a bottle-neck and British Cellophane at Bridgewater might have had something to do with it.
Remember the stink? All gone now, Bridgwater doing well as people who work on the new atomic power station buy property, move in.