who plans to go back

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Mrs Archy

Re: who plans to go back

Post by Mrs Archy »

We're both mid 60s have lived here permanently for 13 years and this house was our holiday home for the 3 years previous to that - we couldn't wait to take early retirement and get over here and that decision has never once been regretted. We both say that we never want to go back and I know for sure that never having been seriously ill in the UK if I'd had the two unexpected health problems in the UK that I had here I don't think I would have survived and certainly with the detached retina that was dealt with immediately here I know I would have been blind in that eye. Health care I just cannot fault. However, we don't have children so no pull there, I don't have any family and OH has nothing to do with his family except his mother but that's out of politeness! What is that saying about you can choose your friends not your family.
A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

mysty

Post by mysty »

Nifty wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:43 pm
Planning in not my thing. For years oh indicated she wanted to see some of her grandchildren.
Now, she has seen the light.

Has she left you :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

exile

Post by exile »

Each time I return to the UK (which is only once since I retired), it seems like a more and more strange (as in not what I remember) place. No plans to move beck before I am at least 150.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

@Mysty
No. She knows where her bread is buttered.

Mangetout

Post by Mangetout »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:43 pm
Had 18 summers in Brittany, 183 days a year. We never intended staying permanently because we found France to authoritarian and rule bound. We meant to leave when I was 65 but stayed until I was 72 last year. Home was either house. Do not miss France but do miss the many friends we made there.
I take it from what you say you weren't a resident of France, just took long holidays each year. In which case you never left the UK. Whilst it's interesting to hear your take on holidaying in France, I'm really interested in what those who have emigrated intend to do.

Doug

Post by Doug »

In mid 80s lived here for well over 30years, now have french nationality.
The uk is a foriegn country to us .

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

I am nearly mid- seventies, spent my mid youf in Africa and following graduation in UK have only spent ten years there, reluctantly. My kids are Anglo Belgians, based close to Brussels and my partner is London based, so where I am now suits me fine for whatever is left. Decent folk, good access, quiet village, coastal access etc.
However, were I rich I would seriously consider a nice house in the Mendips or Blackdowns, but dunno whether I could stand modern Britain.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

My doc told me in the late ‘70s that the vale of the Tone was among the top spots for air pollution in England.

Sizewell

Post by Sizewell »

I am 70, My French wife is 11 years younger. Have now lived in France for 15 years and We would never go back to live in the UK. Our daughter still lives there, but would like to move to Canada.
Our son lives here, but when we moved here, he was of school age.

CHIPPY

Post by CHIPPY »

We have held out for 16 years and the family have tried to get us back thoughout. Now we have new grandchildren, 3 plus a new one in october, the draw is getting stronger. I dont give a toss about the political ramifications though. Our oldest[my stepdaughter] has sold and is buying a new property in Scotland with acres and if we can buy an acre from them will construct a property for us and move accordingly. We have 3 grown up grandchildren there too.
We know they are lying. They know they are lying, They know that we know they are lying. We know that they know that we know they are lying. And still they continue to lie.
Alexander Solschenizyn