Kingfisher farmer

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Polarengineer

Kingfisher farmer

Post by Polarengineer »

I have seen a blue flash of a supersonic Kingfisher only a few times on our river, but today, one has decided to retire from fishing and go farming. I found him as the proverbial monty python parrot quite prone in my tractor.
How on earth (sky) did he get there

Oops caption is the wrong way around
Attachments
No fish in here
No fish in here
Which way is the sky
Which way is the sky
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)

Veem

Re: Kingfisher farmer

Post by Veem »

Poor thing. They are truly such beautiful birds.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Polarengineer wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:12 pm
I have seen a blue flash of a supersonic Kingfisher only a few times on our river, but today, one has decided to retire from fishing and go farming. I found him as the proverbial monty python parrot quite prone in my tractor.
Gosh .. is the poor thing OK .. or has he/she given up the ghost ?
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

RIP Martin :(

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Poor little thing, so beautiful.

I’ve never seen one close up but that flash we see when they streak down into the water is captivating.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I had never seen a heron before coming to France especially one in flight, bear in mind that with flying objects against the sky its often difficult to establish a scale for their size and that at the time I was still suffering nightmares and the occasional hallucination from Malaria...................................

When I saw a heron flying across the Somme canal I thought it was something off of Jurassic Park :o

It took me back to the time in Oceania while speeding along in a RIB to a dive site I saw a flying fish that was scudding along on its tail on top of the water in a completely upright position with wings blurring away and it looked like a cartoon angel, I was about to shout out for the others too look and then decided it was a hallucination, it was many years later that I finally found the name of this rare flying fish and saw a video of it and it was exactly as I remembered.

Polarengineer

Post by Polarengineer »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:37 pm
I had never seen a heron before coming to France especially one in flight, bear in mind that with flying objects against the sky its often difficult to establish a scale for their size and that at the time I was still suffering nightmares and the occasional hallucination from Malaria...................................

When I saw a heron flying across the Somme canal I thought it was something off of Jurassic Park :o

It took me back to the time in Oceania while speeding along in a RIB to a dive site I saw a flying fish that was scudding along on its tail on top of the water in a completely upright position with wings blurring away and it looked like a cartoon angel, I was about to shout out for the others too look and then decided it was a hallucination, it was many years later that I finally found the name of this rare flying fish and saw a video of it and it was exactly as I remembered.
Having lived. Some time in NL the grey Heron (blauwe reiger) was regularly seen and this one I snapped in the centre of Amsterdam awaiting a snack of chicken and chips from the tourists

The flying fish were not rare when I was at sea and I would regularly see schools\flocks flying while I was off watch and standing on the bow. One time I was out in the lifeboat having a jolly when I was hit by a flying fish as several landed in the boat. I disected one to see which muscles were developed to allow them to fly, but could not see how. I did notice they had a very square cross section of body as opposed to other fish.
Attachments
Night diver
Night diver
Absolute-ly..I have become comfortably numb (with ice it's nice)