A place for some light-hearted chat.
Catrose

Re: Laybys in France are they also pick up zones

Post by Catrose »

clothmama wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:40 pm
Catrose wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 9:53 pm
Presumably before 31st December as after that who knows what will be possible after that...

That is entirely fair. I might try to get it done asap then before the Christmas rush. I seem to remember they start selling Christmas stuff very early over there!
You can support french based businesses and buy crackers and Christmas pudding here now:

https://www.comptoir-irlandais.com/fr/c ... eeven.html

Post-Brexit it might be worth encouraging more local supply of favorite products?

Or even make your own. I have a friend from Bethune in northern france whose mother makes something very similar (actually nicer!)

Joinfrance

Post by Joinfrance »

Can you buy crackers that do? (Crack, I mean) a friend bought some in one of the big stores in Paris, but when we came to pull them all the snaps had been removed!

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

:lol: I am loving the thread drift on this post, I think it must be the best ever! :lol:

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Stompie wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:11 pm
:lol: I am loving the thread drift on this post, I think it must be the best ever! :lol:
I don't know, pulling a cracker in a pick up zone seems to be following the thread.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

mysty

Post by mysty »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:50 pm
Stompie wrote:
I don't know, pulling a cracker in a pick up zone seems to be following the thread.
Stomie is just being naive :lol:
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I'm still grappling with the concept of "booking a slot" for a layby quickie. :o
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Aardvark wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 6:38 pm
I'm still grappling with the concept of "booking a slot" for a layby quickie. :o
If you do not book a slot by the end of the month you will not get a slot for crimbo.
They get booked up early.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

Sorry to bring the thread back on track, but one aire near us at Bassenel was notorious as a pick up point, it has now physically been closed off.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Never heard them called "slots" before but you can choose any nearest layby on a Route Nationale leading away from the Rocade d'Amiens and you will find the Metro-boulot-dodo workers from Paris plying their trade, been like that ever since I moved here, they are a more discreet now and remain in their vans or caravans many of which are permenantly sited.

Same deal in Beauvais, St Quentin, Compiegne etc, the very same villes where the pharmacies are being burgled every night by organised gangs of juvenile immigrants (no papers, no identities, no parlee Frenchy) taking the last train from Paris and setting to work, when they get caught they get taken to a special foyer which they are free to walk away from, the last lot were taken there at 6am and arrested again back in Compiegne 2 hours later with the takings (rolls of coins) from their first burglary of the day.

Most of them have been trafficked from North Africa by the gangleaders running them, its probably the same deal with the "slots" but the have always been tolerated as a public service

clothmama

Post by clothmama »

Stompie wrote:
:lol: :lol:
Joinfrance wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:46 pm
Can you buy crackers that do? (Crack, I mean) a friend bought some in one of the big stores in Paris, but when we came to pull them all the snaps had been removed!
the ones I got last year were devastating :? :? :? - NO HATS - seriously WTF how is a Christmas Craker a Christmas Cracker without a hat??????? I believe it may not have banged either. First and last time I'll be buying French Crackers!!
Catrose wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:24 pm
Post-Brexit it might be worth encouraging more local supply of favorite products?

Or even make your own. I have a friend from Bethune in northern france whose mother makes something very similar (actually nicer!)
I do agree - and I'd love to be able to afford to - but €15 for 6 MINI crackers is way beyond my budget!
That is a great idea, maybe I should buy the kit to make them and sell them at the Christmas market :lol: :lol: my panini machine has died so won't be doing those this year!
Lapourtaider wrote:
Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:39 pm
Sorry to bring the thread back on track
sorry I just pulled it back off :lol: :lol: :lol: