Why are so many French websites naff?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
rabbit

Re: Why are so many French websites naff?

Post by rabbit »

The French are behind because they were in front. The French led the world with Minitel long before the Internet. It was a very successful precursor to the Internet offering online services throughout France. The Internet arrived but France, having made a big investment persisted with Minitel. So France was a late adopter of the Internet. (Scandinavia and the UK were early adopters). France are probably 5 years behind but they are catching up. Email in France is another example. It is only 10 years since France stopped using fax and email take-up has been slow but is now becoming ubiquitous. A real annoyance for me is when someone sends an email to 30 people and 30 people believe they have to "reply all"

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

Dechetteries! :evil: :evil: :evil:

We have several round and about but in not one case does the recorded website opening hours/days agree with the reality. But then, once you are outside with a trailer of rubbish, the board beside the gate does not agree with the status of the gate or the website! I have had some of the most travelled rubbish in France. :?

The worst website and company I have ever had to deal with is Lazy Susan's french site. If you order something you get only an undated order number and a bit telling you the name and town of who else has ordered stuff recently (bothered?). You get no confirmation email. They claim to respond to email enquiries in two hours - I had no response to repeated emails for more than 3 weeks. The customer email address given is a list of hyroglifics. They sent out a small table and two chairs by two different carriers - both of which are meant to contact you in advance; they don't. One left something with a tobacconist and the other claimed they could not find my address. :shock:

There are failures to update information and there are deliberate lies - the result for the punter is the same. A pox on their houses!

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

I had a similar experience with GIFI last week. The website told me they didn't close for lunch, so I arrived at 11.50 and when I asked they told me they closed from 12.30 for lunch :evil:

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

rabbit wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 8:53 am
The French are behind because they were in front. The French led the world with Minitel long before the Internet. It was a very successful precursor to the Internet offering online services throughout France. The Internet arrived but France, having made a big investment persisted with Minitel. So France was a late adopter of the Internet. (Scandinavia and the UK were early adopters). France are probably 5 years behind but they are catching up. Email in France is another example. It is only 10 years since France stopped using fax and email take-up has been slow but is now becoming ubiquitous. A real annoyance for me is when someone sends an email to 30 people and 30 people believe they have to "reply all"
Hmmm, I'm not sure I buy that: the reason French websites are so bad is due to Minitel being so good. Whatever, it is undeniable that many French businesses are losing out because of their useless websites and I feel as a consequence the mighty Amazon will be reaping the benefit. This is a pity and an inconvenience as far as I'm concerned and the sooner the French commercial sector gets its collective act together, the better.
I am amazed how many businesses still show a fax number on their company letterheads. Do many people here still use faxes? Most of the folk I know don't bother with landline phones and wouldn't dream of sending a fax, even if they had a machine (which they don't) or knew how (which they don't).
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

CD wrote-
I am amazed how many businesses still show a fax number on their company letterheads. Do many people here still use faxes? Most of the folk I know don't bother with landline phones and wouldn't dream of sending a fax, even if they had a machine (which they don't) or knew how (which they don't).
Syd.

I heard on the radio the other day that Lionel Messi tried to resign from Barcelona by fax, it may of been a condition in his contract that written into his contract when he signed many years ago but I think he would struggle to find one and the paper that used to be on a roll would fade within a few months.

On our recent house sale the Estate Agent mentioned we might be able to remotely do the Acte De Vente by fax, maybe it was a language thing but we already had the Acte De Vente via an email from the Notaire, but it never came to that as we went to the Notaire's office.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Are faxes not sent from a computer & scanner these days?

Is a seperate fax number actually a seperate phone line with all the charges like in the old days or just a number attributed to recieve faxes on the same line?

Perhaps its a legal thing, that you have the transmission report & know that it has been recieved & in a format that can be read, no end of documents that I have recieved I have not been able to open for one reason or another, file compatibility etc, some recently you can read but when printed everything comes out except the important bit which is just a series of random dots.

I'm pretty sure when it comes to banking, sending instructions from another country if your internet access has been blocked, sending proof of identity like a passport they all ask for the stuff to be sent by fax, that is when you are actually dealing with a real person who will action the request or make the decision.

RobertArthur

Post by RobertArthur »

Rabbit, about Minitel, a short lived success, killed by the French press, afraid of tv and modern communication techniques. It was Ouest-France taking the lead in this French press resistance, followed by the unions and many members of the Assemblée. One could say, familiar themes: concurrence deloyale, fear of job loss etc. The battle continued long after the presidency of Valéry Giscard d'Estaing, a typical French dialogue.

So the idea of un terminal annuaire électronique finally was enriched with several other functions. "Il fut décidé de restreindre l'offre de petites annonces aux seuls services fournis par la presse et de créer le système de Kiosque qui accordait 75% des recettes téléphoniques de la consultation au fournisseur de service. Cette disposition était réservée à la presse car, pourpouvoir en beneficier, il fallait se prévaloir d'un numéro de commission paritaire."

Conclusion drawn by Marie Carpenter in her study "La bataille des télécoms": vers une France numérique" (2011): Never pick a fight with a man who buys ink by the barrel.

In other words: shoot yourself in the foot. France should have embraced minitel enabling a flying start in the internet technology. Invented by the Americans, so that is where national pride steps in. Seven years ago a new chapter: Google tax.

elsie

Post by elsie »

Until recently, faxes were one f the legal forms of communication as you had proof of delivery. I don't know whether other forms of electronic communication are now accepted. However, electronic signing of documents, e.g. insurance, is.

Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Until a few years ago all medical test results were by fax.

It maybe just a local service but, for the last 5 years we have an online service called Bioesteral, which is a web based system of labs that provide your results in a pdf format. It's been great for us because we don't have to go back to the lab and in every case we get same day results. My OH has a scan and it's in and out within 40 minutes, with a URL and password for the results.

My younger son came over mid August from the UK and I insisted he took a test because his mum is vulnerable. He filled in the web form and the following day he took the swab up the hooter, which is the norm. The nurse asked him if he had a previous test. Yes, a home test , I did it myself, she laughed.

We both agreed she was right, the majority of people cannot stick that thing up their nose and get a clear reading.

He received the result by text 6 hours later, negative.

He was amazed at how quick and transparent the system is compared to the UK.

France is years ahead of the UK in terms of communicating with patients and applying technology.

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

Only as good as the folk who design and maintain them. Enough said perhaps....