Why are so many French websites naff?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
CRAZY DIAMOND

Why are so many French websites naff?

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Yet again I've fallen foul of piss-poor French IT. The latest was re a restaurant which, according to its website, is open on Mondays. Great, that makes a change so we'd planned to dine there after arriving at a place where we will be spending a few days holiday. Phoned up to book a table on Monday 28 September only to be told they are not open on Mondays. I explained their website says they are, to be informed the website is wrong! This isn't an isolated case as many times in the past I've been given bum information from the website of the place I want to visit. A prime example was the La Poste website which gave me the opening hours of a rural office about 12 miles away where I had to collect a package. According to the website it would be open until 17.00 so I drove there around 15.00 only to find they no longer open in the afternoons. Other French websites I've visited recently have gleefully announced what is new for 2015.
I'm aware many French don't like, so don't respond to emails and I'm convinced many of 'em don't bother with accurate, up to date websites either. The moral of the story is always, always phone first, do not rely on what the website says. Anybody else feel the same?
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.

exile

Re: Why are so many French websites naff?

Post by exile »

I've not come across inaccurate information but the thing that gets me is the organisation that has a website. Great you think, I can look around and see what they have on offer; except when you open the site it is a single page, which basically says here we are; here is our address; and here is the telephone number - and absolutely nothing else. No ideas given on product range let alone prices.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Syd. Yes absolutely, been caught out many times.

Exile, I am guilty of that one to some degree and it definitely has not been updated since 2014, I have no idea how to :oops:

basileus

Post by basileus »

We have several hundred guests each year needing a restaurant and always advise them to phone and book. Never rely on the net. Frequently there is conflicting info on different sites about the same place. The offices de tourisme are useless at info about restaurants. Very few establishments of any sort have good websites.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

Fell foul of this very thing couple of days ago - needed to get a stamp to post a letter to pay a bill ( because SFR cell service was down so can't use the bank account to pay it because can't get the authorisation code via mobile phone)
La Poste website says local La Post is open until 12 am, got down there at 11.50- It's closed and wasn't open that morning according to notice on door.
But it's open in the PM that day so back went and got it done. Grrrrrr!

Communication - it's something other countries do, but not France, unless they want some money off you!
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

Tom

Post by Tom »

needed to get a stamp to post a letter to pay a bill
:) Why didn't you print your own stamp?
“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle

Veem

Post by Veem »

I cannot tell you why they are, but can only agree that they are ......... :cry:

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

The Brittany Ferries website is a prime example, it is possibly near to the original website with loads of adds on over the years, no problem you would think but try entering a credit note after you have inputted all your details, crossings, car, roof box, dog, cabin, names, date of births, gender and nationality, for it not to accept the credit note or voucher code that they owe you and it crashes or just will not accept. Resulting in a very long winded telephone conversation with reservations to do the whole thing laboriously over the phone, if you can get through.

We were in France when the quarantine was called at 10pm French time on Thursday for 4am Saturday morning. Tried repeatedly to get on to BF website but it kept crashing but in sections, just showing the "bolt on bits" as it crashed or returned to the screen, didn't bother using any of my £500+ credit/voucher codes as I knew it would crash, finally at 2am in the morning it accepted the booking.

We have £45 of vouchers as a gesture of good will to use on board from January where I explained to their head of IT the inherent problems with their website, I am totally computer illiterate (I might add) but it was obvious even to me. Still no change in the website though...

We have a friend who is a respected journalist for the France Ouest newspaper in Brittany, she only looks at her work emails once a week if you are lucky, more like every two weeks, we have learnt only to contact her through social media or the good old phone. She doesn't have a personal email address in the 13 years we have known her.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Two examples come to mind.
One was the website for the office where I used to pay my tax fonciere. Not only were the posted opening hours complete fantasy, the site remained unchanged for over two years after the place was closed and business transferred to another town.

The other is my nearest builders merchants. The site allows you to find most of the items they stock (once you play the game of where they list things) but neither do they say if an item is in stock or not, nor do they put the price on the website. So after trying it a couple of times, finding it seriously expensive I now drive a half hour further on to Brico Depot or half an hour in the other direction for a branch of Bricomarche.

I have only found a handful of French websites that are anything like up to standard. :roll:
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

CRAZY DIAMOND

Post by CRAZY DIAMOND »

Strewth, I really didn't expect so many replies agreeing with me and thought it would be a case of "Well let me tell you about all the dreadful UK websites, far worse than those in France". Don't get me started on fermeture exceptionelles, summat that's made this grown man weep on occasions.
Syd.
There is a sufficiency in the world for man’s need, but not for man’s greed.
Mahatma Gandhi.