Social Media Addiction

A place for some light-hearted chat.
whyme?

Re: Social Media Addiction

Post by whyme? »

Gus Morris wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:08 am
As I think I've already said, this forum has a core of high volume posters. People who post several times a day, every day. A not uncommon phenomenon. Possibly not unrelated behaviour is they often tend to make comments that change the direction of the conversation away from the primary topic. There is little that can be done to change things. The behaviours I have described please some and don't overly impress others.

Gus
I agree whole heartedly Gus which is why I'm thinking about joining that other forum for like minded souls called ' Pedants in France'. ;)

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

whyme? wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm
Gus Morris wrote:
As I think I've already said, this forum has a core of high volume posters. People who post several times a day, every day. A not uncommon phenomenon. Possibly not unrelated behaviour is they often tend to make comments that change the direction of the conversation away from the primary topic. There is little that can be done to change things. The behaviours I have described please some and don't overly impress others.

Gus
I agree whole heartedly Gus which is why I'm thinking about joining that other forum for like minded souls called ' Pedants in France'. ;)
I never had you pitched as a lover of French Jewelry !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

Gus Morris wrote:

Gus
But that's exactly what often happens in conversations between friends and it’s easy to get back on the original track on this friendly forum. You sound like one of those not impressed after only 12 posts............

mysty

Post by mysty »

Gardengirl wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:05 pm
Gus Morris wrote:

Gus
But that's exactly what often happens in conversations between friends and it’s easy to get back on the original track on this friendly forum. You sound like one of those not impressed after only 12 posts............
Or someone from another forum looking to stifle members from being chatty.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

mysty wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:08 pm
Gardengirl wrote:
Gus Morris wrote:

Gus
If that's the case, it won't work.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 pm
mysty wrote:
Gardengirl wrote:

Drfinitely not - some of us are addicted to being chatty and friendly, not addicted to being on forums.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

I can never understand why people join a forum,then most of their posts are critical of that forum. No one made them join

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Gardengirl wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:13 pm
FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:11 pm
mysty wrote:

Definitely not - some of us are addicted to being chatty and friendly, not addicted to being on forums.
That was part of the reason behind my original post; if we come on here daily to be chatty and friendly, if we smile inwardly when we get a Thanks or a positive comment, and if we find it difficult to ignore the forum for a day or two, then it's possible we are slightly addicted. And the reason behind this is dopamine: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... -addiction
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

FFS, I can identify with all of them and put my hands up so yes there is a degree of accrochage but could not say yes to any of the criteria in the article which were quite frightening but I believe relate more to what some people seek on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.

Not many Influencers or Vloggeurs on here and its a "thanks" function and not a "like" function, thats what it says on the tin and the way I use it.

I have never seen the amount of "thanks" as being a popularity contest although Ally who was active on Twitter would often speak of how many thanks he had recieved, likewise I dont look at peoples post count as a badge of honour or shame, without the frequent posters and the sometimes frivolous threads started by the forum owner this place would have little but tumbleweed like the other French forums.
Last edited by Le Démerdeur on Thu Sep 03, 2020 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 6:31 pm
FFS, I can identify with all of them and put my hands up so yes there is a degree of accrochage but could not say yes to any of the criteria in the article which were quite frightening but I believe relate more to what some people seek on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc.

Not many Influencers or Vloggeurs on here and its a "thanks" function and not a "like" function, thats what it says on the tin and the way I use it.

I have never seen the amount of "thanks" as being a popularity contest although Ally who was active on Twitter would often speak of how many thanks he had recieved, likewise I dont look at peoples post count as a badge of honour or shame, without the frequent posters and the sometimes frivolous threads started by the forum owners this place would have little but tumbleweed like the other French forums.
I do not think ATS posts frivolous threads :lol:
Anyway, the last couple of days we have been offline for hours due to poor connection.
Plenty of active threads and posts.
The forum post count went up. ;)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience