Help the homeless

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Help the homeless

Post by mysty »

Dorset are wanting to fine the homeless who sleep on the street £100, if they do not pay that then they can get a fine of up to £1000.
I'm not sure many homeless people have that kind of money.
What a feced up world we live in now.
It's easy to end up on the street.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 93666.html
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Veem

Re: Help the homeless

Post by Veem »

How completely ridiculous and uncaring. How on earth could anyone think these homeless people could possibly pay such a fine.

Is this the best plan they can come up with to put the UK back on its economic feet?

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

The NIMBY attitude of those with money for those without.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I think if you were a shop owner having suffered the confinement, customers not returning after becoming used to buying on line, Amazon etc and now the reduced footfall due to the requirement to wear masks having someone set up a tent in your doorway and/or begging there is not going to be a joy to you.

I have been homeless and I have lived in a tent and the last place on earth I would have wanted to risk my last few wordly possessions including the thin canvas roof over my head would have been in a doorway of a shop or carpark in a crowded town centre. I set up as deep in woodland as was possible in the then already overcrowded S.E. and did my best to camouflage where I was.

I dont agree with the fines but I think the issue is not simply one of homelessness.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

I hadn’t realised that sheltering the homeless during the pandemic had finished. Many/most throughout the country were put up in hotels etc and were fed too, along with services such as hairdressers, foot care etc like at Crisis at Christmas.

I remember hearing homeless people in accommodation being interviewed some weeks ago and although some said they wanted to return to life outside, others were very keen on their new lifestyles.

Yes, I can understand hard-pressed shopkeepers not wanting people sleeping in their doorways, this council proposition is inhuman in my and very likely in many other people’s opinion opinion.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

If they are still being housed in hôtels etc (& I dont know if thats the case) then those camping in doorways will be exercising their choice of lifestyle at the cost of those taxpayers who are carrying the weight of the world at present.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:51 pm
I think if you were a shop owner having suffered the confinement, customers not returning after becoming used to buying on line, Amazon etc and now the reduced footfall due to the requirement to wear masks having someone set up a tent in your doorway and/or begging there is not going to be a joy to you.

I have been homeless and I have lived in a tent and the last place on earth I would have wanted to risk my last few wordly possessions including the thin canvas roof over my head would have been in a doorway of a shop or carpark in a crowded town centre. I set up as deep in woodland as was possible in the then already overcrowded S.E. and did my best to camouflage where I was.

I dont agree with the fines but I think the issue is not simply one of homelessness.
I had not thought about the shop keepers.
They do need to find a solution for people living on the streets.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

ajm

Post by ajm »

Is Dorset a training ground for idiots prior to them getting government posts?
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

mysty wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 6:12 pm
Dorset are wanting to fine the homeless who sleep on the street £100, if they do not pay that then they can get a fine of up to £1000.
I'm not sure many homeless people have that kind of money.
What a feced up world we live in now.
It's easy to end up on the street.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 93666.html
What a flipping insult !

Monsieur3seas

Post by Monsieur3seas »

Its Dorset CC trying to move the homeless out of Dorset....