Automated Lane Keeping System (ALKS)

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Monsieur3seas

Re: Automated Lane Keeping System (ALKS)

Post by Monsieur3seas »

Everyone seems to be concerned about the 'erosion of skill' - possibly a valid concern for those who have this skill, but maybe a godsend for all the drivers who have little sense nor skill....

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Drivers with little sense nor skill should not have a license to sit behind the wheel.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

rabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am
More so in the UK where stoppages are more frequent.
Having driven many 100,000's miles on UK motorways the statement about frequent stoppages is incorrect. Can't remember the last time we were held up on UK motorways.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

When I got my Volvo XC90, after two days I took it into a tyre shop to have the laser tracking looked at, as there was a constant judder when overtaking, no-one explained the ALKS to me, day three I was driving around a ring road around a small town, traffic joining from all over the place, suddenly a car cut in front of me and my car just slammed on the brakes and left me stationary in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic, confused and trying to work out what had happened and angry drivers swearing and being aggressive all around me.

I have since been back to the Volvo garage and had tuition in my car but... I have switched both applications off as my trust in it is not there, yet !
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

One of the suggestions (on p.33 of my link) is that drivers should be able to use the Infotainment System more whilst driving with ALKS:

5.8 Government understands that manufacturers wish to enable the driver to perform activities other than driving through the infotainment system. This could include activities like watching a film, checking emails or SMS, or accessing other audio, video or written content. A driver would also be able to tether their mobile phone to the system as is possible today.

Watching movies, texting, sending e-mails - a recipe for disaster!

landmannnn

Post by landmannnn »

Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:40 am
When I got my Volvo XC90, after two days I took it into a tyre shop to have the laser tracking looked at, as there was a constant judder when overtaking, no-one explained the ALKS to me, day three I was driving around a ring road around a small town, traffic joining from all over the place, suddenly a car cut in front of me and my car just slammed on the brakes and left me stationary in the middle of 5 lanes of traffic, confused and trying to work out what had happened and angry drivers swearing and being aggressive all around me.

I have since been back to the Volvo garage and had tuition in my car but... I have switched both applications off as my trust in it is not there, yet !
Isn't the XC90 using a lane departure warning rather than ALKS?

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

landmannnn wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:01 am
Annabelle's Papa wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:40 am

Isn't the XC90 using a lane departure warning rather than ALKS?
You are probably correct, it sounded like the same thing to me, only way to find out is to go out to my car and switch it on and look through the manual (on the screen) but I am in quarantine so don't want to get caught.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

Ally

Post by Ally »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 10:34 am
rabbit wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 9:17 am
More so in the UK where stoppages are more frequent.
Having driven many 100,000's miles on UK motorways the statement about frequent stoppages is incorrect. Can't remember the last time we were held up on UK motorways.
It's maybe not your experience but it is far from incorrect.
In my experience the southern half of England is a massive car park. And the M1 around Leeds and Wakefield? I once had to apply for a residency permit I was there so long.
I was also caught up in a horrendous jam on the M40 but to be fair, those were caused by the death of a cop and a murder, respectively.
I have heard though that the area around Leeds, the M1, The A1M and the interconnecting roads is the most fragile part of the UK motorway system.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

I travel to Leeds (shopping) and Wakefield (visiting friends) and use the M62 to get to both. No problems ever. Last time we were really held up was on the M25 about 30? years ago due to a road traffic accident. The trouble with the M25 is that it was designed to get traffic AROUND London. Then Joe Bloggs who lives in London found out that he could nip on for one junction to visit friends and relatives. The rest was inevitable.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:56 pm
The trouble with the M25 is that it was designed to get traffic AROUND London. Then Joe Bloggs who lives in London found out that he could nip on for one junction to visit friends and relatives. The rest was inevitable.
Combined with a politician who decided he could make a bit of money charging vehicles who want to drive directly across London rather than going around.