Another British coal mine to close

A place for some light-hearted chat.
exile

Re: Another British coal mine to close

Post by exile »

Most coal usage in the UK has nothing to do with power generation. The comparison with nuclear while interesting is completely false.

Coal is largely used today in the production of iron and steel where it is a chemically active material and its energy content is of secondary importance.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Regardless of how coal is extracted, I would have thought in this modern age the health risks could be dealth with. The old methods of a man hacking away at the face with a pick and shovel maybe wearing a piece of rag over his mouth and nose could surely be improved.
I don't really advocate opening all the pits and using more coal because it is just too dirty and inefficient in a modern world, not to mention the global warming issue. My gripe is the reasoning behind the closures and subsequent importation that put thousands out of work so the bods at the top of the food chain could make more profit.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Fitter

Post by Fitter »

It's not just another British coal mine to close - it's actually the last one.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

Mrs Archy

Post by Mrs Archy »

Thought you may be interested in reading this? which has reminded me of a very good film Brassed Off.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lates ... ast-miners
A vos et nos sourires masqués, puisqu’il ne reste que nos yeux pour parler… Déjà hâte de vous retrouver!

‘The brightest flame casts the darkest shadows’

exile

Post by exile »

Fitter wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:56 am
No it's not. Complete sphericals. It is the last deep coal mine. There are open cast coal mines across quite a bit of the UK.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

exile wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 am
Fitter wrote:
No it's not. Complete sphericals. It is the last deep coal mine. There are open cast coal mines across quite a bit of the UK.
It's not the last deep coal mine, the last one of those closed 5 years ago.
The last deep mine, at Kellingley in North Yorkshire, closed five years ago. Since then the only home produced coal has come from open cast mines like Bradley.
And if, in the short to medium term, the UK needs coal, it's surely more environmentally friendly to produce it there rather than ship it from abroad, even if it's more expensive.

As for mines across the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-pit_ ... ed_Kingdom
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:24 am
And if, in the short to medium term, the UK needs coal, it's surely more environmentally friendly to produce it there rather than ship it from abroad, even if it's more expensive.
As I say, HMG knows the price of everything (and the small picture price at that) and the value of nothing.

Even more of a joke is shipping wood chips from Canada and pretending it is carbon neutral.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

Not a lot of people know this but a company based in Norwich and Gt Yarmouth used to, and I assume still do, make and export pasta to Italy.

exile

Post by exile »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:24 am
exile wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:43 am
Fitter wrote:
It's not the last deep coal mine, the last one of those closed 5 years ago.
The last deep mine, at Kellingley in North Yorkshire, closed five years ago. Since then the only home produced coal has come from open cast mines like Bradley.

As for mines across the UK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-pit_ ... ed_Kingdom
Yes you are right FFS. I thought the BBC link was to the same article as the erroneous Sky report.
If in doubt that coal mining continues in England I suggest that you google Shotton open cast coal mine or Brenkley Lane - unless of course Northumberland has ceded to Scotland, which given the current mess in England would not completely surprise me!

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

The big "K" was the last coal mine to close whatever is said on here.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”