Toad-in-the-hole

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Stompie

Re: Toad-in-the-hole

Post by Stompie »

Good to hear a happy ending. :good:

Having not seen a toad all summer we now have a new one who comes to the door at bedtime. We know he or she is new because the last one was eaten by the hedgehog who, incidentally, has reappeared!

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Maybe the hedgehog has seen that there’s toad on the new menu!

Oldblueraincoat

Post by Oldblueraincoat »

Stompie wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:20 pm
Good to hear a happy ending. :good:

Having not seen a toad all summer we now have a new one who comes to the door at bedtime. We know he or she is new because the last one was eaten by the hedgehog who, incidentally, has reappeared!
We have seen, for the first time, a stone marten who appears just after dusk to feed on the fallen mirabelles in the garden - I used a flash to photograph it but it's scream was extraordinarily terrifying - won't be doing that again - just pile up the rotten fruit to make it easier for them - always gone in the morning.

Does anyone know if the toads are responsible for the half-a-crown sized holes that appear in the garden?

Veem

Post by Veem »

Oldblueraincoat wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:59 pm
Does anyone know if the toads are responsible for the half-a-crown sized holes that appear in the garden?
We have loads of small holes like you describe in our lawn. Every so often we see little mammals pop up from them. Voles? Shrews? I'm not sure, but I am sure that our toad would have been well and truly stuck in one that size.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Gardengirl - do you think your toads near you patio could be midwife toads? We had been hearing this strange beeping sound from our garden like an electronic instrument, we were very puzzled -

Then discovered from Wiki it was probably a Midwife toad.
Like your son I was tidying up the grass from below our patio, quite damp, and found 2 of them, with all the baby's eggs clustered on their backs. Covered them up again quickly.
Another thing I miss about our part of France - nature as was intended.

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Biggles wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 11:40 am
All's well that ends well, as my mother was fond of saying! I dug the poor creature out this morning and there is now no doubt that it was well and truly trapped.
Well done .. bet he/she was pleased 😊
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

TriciaF wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:45 pm
Gardengirl - do you think your toads near you patio could be midwife toads? We had been hearing this strange beeping sound from our garden like an electronic instrument, we were very puzzled -

Then discovered from Wiki it was probably a Midwife toad.
Like your son I was tidying up the grass from below our patio, quite damp, and found 2 of them, with all the baby's eggs clustered on their backs. Covered them up again quickly.
Another thing I miss about our part of France - nature as was intended.
I suppose they could be, but have never noticed anything odd about them such as eggs on their backs, although I’ve never been up close like our son used to. When our son next comes round (he’s on holiday now) I’ll ask him to look - my knees aren’t great, so won’t be looking.

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

Glad that he or she escaped the hole, thanks to your help

Nifty

Re: Toed-in-the-hole

Post by Nifty »