Toad-in-the-hole

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Biggles

Toad-in-the-hole

Post by Biggles »

but not an edible one. I spotted this little chap when I took the dogs out yesterday afternoon and he/she is still there now and doesn't panic when touched. I thought that possibly it is waiting for passing flies, but am coming round to thinking that it is stuck. I loosened the soil around it with my finger but it made no difference. It is in an old mole-hill, long since levelled out. Any ideas?
Toad in the hole.JPG
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

mysty

Re: Toad-in-the-hole

Post by mysty »

Good picture, what's he or she up to. No idea.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Biggles wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:50 pm
but not an edible one. I spotted this little chap when I took the dogs out yesterday afternoon ..
Any ideas?
Is he/she/it dehydrated ? I know it sounds daft but, with the temps you have had in your region lately, and knowing how much water the birds etc have been downing in our garden recently, it might not be such a daft notion.
Dehydration causes movement paralysis in extreme cases.

Spray it with water ? It will be absorbed through the skin.
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Thanks, Sue - appears to be unstressed and skin feels normal. Spraying with water sounds like a good idea. If he/she still there in the morning I will do that and I'll loosen more soil so that I'm certain that escape is possible.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

They sometimes choose to live in old mole hills. Maybe he's just sat watching the world pass by.
World beating track and trace. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

ajm

Post by ajm »

We had a pile of sawdust from our log cutting that was home to a toad for a while.
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

Ally

Post by Ally »

We had a toad nest in a pile of old books and magazines. He just sat there all day going, "Reddit, reddit, reddit!"

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

All's well that ends well, as my mother was fond of saying! I dug the poor creature out this morning and there is now no doubt that it was well and truly trapped. I can only surmise that it had taken shelter from the heatwave which dried and hardened the soil so much that it couldn't break out again. Apart from looking a bit under-nourished, he/she set off for shelter, apparently unscathed by its ordeal. :good: :D
AJM and Ally both mentioned finding toads in unusual places: last week a molehill appeared in front of the hangar and when I prepared to set a de-tauper, I found a large toad underneath, rather than a tunnel! I quickly replaced the soil and it is still there as I write.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

I was going to say the same as Sue about the toad being dehydrated because of the hot and dry weather you've been having.
At one time we had a toad visitor every evening - door always open - and he/she headed for the cat and dog's drinking bowl and just sat in there. Sometimes leaving a poo behind in the water.
We had a pond in the garden but that dried up in the summer.

Gardengirl

Post by Gardengirl »

Biggles, I was pleased that all turned out well, poor thing.

We’ve had toads living under stones close to our patio for 38 years to our knowledge, where we have a spring under the lawn near the house and this never seems to dry out. Our younger son found it soon after we moved into the house and used to go out for a chat before school with whichever toads were there at the time.