VJ day,75 years on.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Bald Eagle

Re: VJ day,75 years on.

Post by Bald Eagle »

Just being chatting with our daughter's partner Baz. His Grandad Jack was captured by the Japs and along with his mates was being taken to captivity. Not sure where they were because it involved a desert. They were stripped to their shorts overnight to prevent them attempting to escape. Uncovered and scorching sun next day don't go together. However, he escaped with some of his mates and wandered all night into the desert. Luck was with them when an American patrol saw them at sun up and rescued them!
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

What country were they in, BE?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Monsieur3seas

Post by Monsieur3seas »

My father, now 103, was in N Africa fighting Rommel and then sent to Burma with the Chindits. He wont talk about the Burma time.
There are some interesting books commissioned by the Imperial War museum which record peoples experience during WW2, one of them on the 'Forgotten Army'.

On another note my MIL keeps saying the end of the war was when Paris was liberated or VE day - she does not consider the war existed outside of France!

Ally

Post by Ally »

The Japanese Navy 75 years on. No further comment.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:46 pm
What country were they in, BE?
Don't know FrenchForumSurvivor. Will ask Baz the next time I see him.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Spectre

Post by Spectre »

Monsieur3seas wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:26 am
My father, now 103, was in N Africa fighting Rommel and then sent to Burma with the Chindits. He wont talk about the Burma time.
There are some interesting books commissioned by the Imperial War museum which record peoples experience during WW2, one of them on the 'Forgotten Army'.

On another note my MIL keeps saying the end of the war was when Paris was liberated or VE day - she does not consider the war existed outside of France!
My uncle was in the Somerset light infantry and was part of the Burma campaign. He can't talk about it as he was killed in a field hospital by the Japanese. I find it very hard to forgive some of the Japanese atrocities in WW2, then again they probably have a hard time with the use of atomic bombs on civilians - so do I.

There are some things that we need to learn from.

We never do.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Spectre wrote:
Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:02 pm
I find it very hard to forgive some of the Japanese atrocities in WW2, then again they probably have a hard time with the use of atomic bombs on civilians - so do I.
Two atomic bombs. It's a difficult argument to deal with certain atrocities, but it seems that the Japanese were readier to accept what happened to them and, despite that, deal with the Americans.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Monsieur3seas

Post by Monsieur3seas »

The Japanese surrendered to the USA after the nuclear bombs were dropped because the other option was the advancing Russian army.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

At least all those who were made POW by the Japanese did not have their lives completely ruined like the poor darlings who were not awarded 3 As or better for their exam results.