VJ day,75 years on.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Bald Eagle

VJ day,75 years on.

Post by Bald Eagle »

I'm amazed that this has not been mentioned on here or the other French site I look in on. I have been lucky to befriend two blokes who were out there in WWII. Curiously both were called Albert. I worked with Albert Samwell at Blackburn Meadows Power Station and even after three years didn't know he'd fought out there until he collapsed in the lab with a recurrence of malaria. The second was Albert Blackstock a drinking mate in the STAG INN in Woodhouse, Sheffield. He had horrendous hand tremors due to being a Japanese POW for four years. He went in at twelve stones and came out at seven stones.

Both now sadly dead. Bless you both, mates, and all the others who suffered and died because of the Japanese.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: VJ day,75 years on.

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Merry Christmas, Mr Lawrence.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

jsks

Post by jsks »

At the going down of the sun...

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:00 pm
He had horrendous hand tremors due to being a Japanese POW for four years. He went in at twelve stones and came out at seven stones.
The concierge at one of the buildings that had a maintenance contract with me had a very similar story to tell.

Ally

Post by Ally »

My lollipop man at school was a former POW. He was a frail old soul. I had a lot of resentment towards the Japanese because of him, not that he spoke about it. It was my mother who told me.

jsks

Post by jsks »

I think people are more concerned about their summer holidays. They've had a really tough 4 months of too much food, telly, all modern comforts. There's no sympathy left to spare for those thousands of POWs and veterans who can't possibly understand the hardships we've recently faced.

Ally

Post by Ally »

There was a big fuss about The Red Arrows flying over Prestwick today. I'm sure very few who watched them knew why they were there.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

To be fair,there was a lot of controversy over the VE Day celebrations and social distancing,so they have kept this one more low key

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

I was watching the ceremony from the National Memorial Arboretum on the Beeb. Had to go out so recorded the rest to watch at a later time.

Stompie

Post by Stompie »

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday thinking of my uncle who was a POW. It's not something that was ever really mentioned. My mother died when I was a teenager so I never had a chance to ask her, adult to adult. I know she wasn't a fan of the Japanese and would have avoided their products.