Spending quality time with friends

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Spending quality time with friends

Post by mysty »

We have known this couple for about 15 years.
They bought a house from us and stayed in contact.
We used to open there house up before they came over.
Long before the brexit vote they used to moan about the amount of Asians in the UK but they used the word that begins with Pak.
Close to brexit he said his wife voted for brexit which we could not believe as they wanted to live here but they do not have the income requirements.
On FB it's clear from their views they were both pro brexit and so anti immigrant it was difficult to listen to them. We would give our view but we were drifting apart.
Today they were saying how they felt let down by Farage and Ann Whittingham or ton, not sure which one she is for leaving politics.
The Navy they said should be used to sink the immigrant boats.
ATS did try to get them to look at it from other angles but they would not budge.
I'm only second or third generation British not sure when the great or great great grand parents arrived. :oops:
I'm for anyone who wants to improve there life to have a chance, so our views are different but when we move on from the Limousin and the Cher the friendship will end. They are kind enough people but racist.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

landmannnn

Re: Spending quality time with friends

Post by landmannnn »

Most Brexiteers are racists. All the ones I know thought that Brexit would get rid of dark skinned people.

bluebird

Post by bluebird »

It's quite shocking how many folks racist views were emboldened by Brexit. There is no excuse for racism, not even ignorance is mitigation. I feel like we have regressed by 50yrs since the likes of Trump and Farage have been given a voice.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

It saddens me that the western world seems to have forgotten so quickly where racist thinking leads. And on V-J day too...

mysty

Post by mysty »

The world has changed way beyond anything I thought could ever happen.
Donald and Boris types will not last.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Ally

Post by Ally »

Sad story but too familiar. It's hard, nigh on impossible, to compromise with people with those views. I was so disappointed when the independence referendum vote was lost but I didn't fall out with anyone who voted no. On the other hand, I have zero tolerance for leavers. What they have done is unforgivable in my eyes. It must rank as the most retrograde step mankind has ever taken through choice.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

My late missus and I made lots of friends from the UK mainly via the house selling business where 90% of my customers were Brits. Many of those people have since passed on since the 80 s though a few are hanging on. Almost all our friends who became the closest were probably not by coincidence born in the 1930s or 1940 s. It somehow happened that the majority of these people were inherently racist. This did affect our opinion of these people causing some bust ups between us.
I’m sure UK racists come in all shapes and sizes but this particular age group born before and during the war seemed particularly anti blacks anti everyone except their own white people.
Maybe this was the period when the world map was still predominantly pink and when Britannia ruled the oceans and these people actually thought that the Brits were a superior race ?
Many of these friends or ex friends came to France to escape the multi racist UK society, I just wish would have stayed in Blighty.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

landmannnn wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:13 pm
Most Brexiteers are racists. All the ones I know thought that Brexit would get rid of dark skinned people.
Most brexiters I knew always seemed to start off a sentence with “I’m not racist, but “

Why is that I wonder.......

JD

Jackie

Post by Jackie »

It breaks my heart and worries me greatly that they think the Navy should bomb the dinghies. That takes it to a whole new scary level..

And people wonder how the Nazi concentration camps came about...

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

Hi Jackie, last night I was thinking about the latest UK quarantine measures. Theoretically, if a boat with illegal immigrants is picked up in UK waters do they then have to spend 14 days in quarantine before being deported or dealt with however ?