Eating out at traditional restaurants

A place for some light-hearted chat.
After the Storm 2

Re: Eating out at traditional restaurants

Post by After the Storm 2 »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:15 pm
The shape of that object looks just like the poisson pané that they sell in Lidl for the kids, cartoon fish shaped.

They are breaking the French law with that packaging and insulting British tradition if the chair inside the batter is the reconstituted fibreboard that I keep buying in error (eyesight) thinking I have chosen filet de poisson pané and not plain poisson pané.

I know that decent poisson pané does exist, Birds Eye make fish fingers where the fish flakes as a proper fillet would and I have seen proper blocks of pané produced at Boulogne from whole fish pieces, I hope thats what was inside your cartoon fish shape, the other stuff is horrendous.

Did it at least seem like proper fish inside?
It was a 'proper' fish in a very nice thin batter !

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Must have been the photo or my eyes again, glad it was.

Not so convinced that it was more than enough for a meal for 2 hard working builders, an amuse bouche perhaps.

I think that I can say confidently that the nearest fish & chips be it from a shop or a van to me would be at Dover.

Veem

Post by Veem »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
The shape of that object looks just like the poisson pané that they sell in Lidl for the kids, cartoon fish shaped.

They are breaking the French law with that packaging and insulting British tradition if the chair inside the batter is the reconstituted fibreboard that I keep buying in error (eyesight) thinking I have chosen filet de poisson pané and not plain poisson pané.

I know that decent poisson pané does exist, Birds Eye make fish fingers where the fish flakes as a proper fillet would and I have seen proper blocks of pané produced at Boulogne from whole fish pieces, I hope thats what was inside your cartoon fish shape, the other stuff is horrendous.

We have been there many, many times and the fish is always beautiful; very fresh cod or haddock in homemade beer batter, really well cooked in regularly changed oil. They only cook to order too, so you don't get some tired, dried out bit of cooked fish that's been kept warm for ages.

Why do you say they are breaking the law with the packaging?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:28 pm
Must have been the photo or my eyes again, glad it was.

Not so convinced that it was more than enough for a meal for 2 hard working builders, an amuse bouche perhaps.

I think that I can say confidently that the nearest fish & chips be it from a shop or a van to me would be at Dover.
There’s plenty of places selling fish and chips between you and the Channel

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Please tell me where some of them are Elizabeth. I hope that they do exist but in all my years and all my travels I have not come across any, French people often tell me that they have eaten them but they have been a special in a restaurant or their company canteen, before 2008 there were enough English in certain ghetto communes for someone to take a punt on running a fish & chip van but if anyone did now I really dont think they would get enough custom.

I did eat at one parked by the river in Gourges beside a pub run by an Australian couple back in those days, but there was nothing like that up here. Maybe at one of the station balnéaires?

Veem. You give a good recommendation of them.

The packaging comment was tongue in cheek but it is French law that all packaging and instructions etc must be written in French or a translation attached, look at the price labels on the imported products in Noz, often they get them completely wrong!

Some businesses have had to change their names after complaints, most you will find only use one or two words of English in their title.

Of course its not enforced unless someone else cries "concurrence déloyale!"

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Google is your friend

mysty

Post by mysty »

Le Démerdeur wrote:

Do you not have friend that catches battered fish ;)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

mysty

Post by mysty »

Veem wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:41 pm
mysty wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:22 pm
Curtis no head on this fish but very tasty. :P

Well worth a detour if your near Confolens.
I even got irnbru and tizer. :D ImageImage
I recognised The Chip Shop from the box in your top photo! We've only been once since lockdown, when they were only doing takeaways. Providing you're not unlucky enough to book an outdoor table on the day of a massive storm, it's so much nicer to eat your F&C straight from the fryer. I think we shall have to go again next week.
It's been years since I had proper fish and chips.
Very nice well worth the wait.
Cash only :lol:
He looked a bit grumpy she was all bubbly and happy
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

curtis

Post by curtis »

Mysty, I'm a bit late coming to this post. Glad you enjoyed your fish and chips. At least it wasn't oblong.
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

Ally wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:36 pm
I got a battered sausage in La Souterraine last night and some food after.
Any battered Mars bars available ?