Mobile phone contract - Orange

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Hereford

Mobile phone contract - Orange

Post by Hereford »

Hi
I feel sure that our problem has no answer but thought I would give it a go as so many of you are really helpful:

I have a phone contract with Orange, two hours calls a month (more than I use) and data. There is an old smallish credit balance from the original transfer from a pay-as-you-go phone which will be used up as and when I make calls outside Europe or over the two hours. I am happy with that.

Then, in the family, we have a basic mobile that has just been used for occasional calls and is a pay-as-you-go phone. There is a huge credit balance on this phone as it was used rarely and topped up once a year so as to keep the credit balance. Not good.

I went to the Orange shop today (very organised with rdv made in advance). I naively asked if I could merge the basic phone into my contract and share the two hours. If so with the credit I would like to buy a new phone.

The answers were "Non, Non, Non". As far as they are concerned it is: one contract = one phone. No merging. Definitely cannot use credit from either phone to buy a new one or, I assume, buy anything else.

They suggested a basic 10 euro a month contract for two hours calls for the basic phone. That way we keep the credit (but of course it can only be used for calls...). I pointed out that it is cheaper to buy one recharge per year for 100 euros - you still keep the credit. Young man had to ponder that - clearly a bit short on arithmetical skills.

Outcome: stalemate. I suspect the balance will revert to Orange in a month's time. Any ideas please? In any case I have decided that should I actually need a new phone I will not be buying it from Orange.
Many thanks.

bjsliv

Re: Mobile phone contract - Orange

Post by bjsliv »

Cancel your current monthly contract and change the account with the balance to an equivalent monthly package. Move the sim card into phone number one and get something like the free 2 euros a month card for phone 2 , if you need two phones. You would need to check that this will work,, because you may find that the balance is only usable for calls.

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

I cannot remember whom but I am with something from Leclerc for the last 5 years

I just checked its https://www.reglomobile.fr/offres/formu ... -plus.aspx
No contract pay 1.5 euroes a month, when your credit drops below 5 euros they debit my a/c 15 euros I hardly ever use it say 25 euros a year

Hereford

Post by Hereford »

Thanks for suggestions. My first priority is to stop Orange getting the credit balance back! The credit balance can only be used for calls (so Orange tell me)

Hereford

Post by Hereford »

Satisfactory solution found. I am sending SMS donation messages to worthy institutions.
None of the suggestions made earlier suited exactly what we wanted to do - stop Orange getting any of the dosh.
Dons by SMS are easily done, many have a maximum amount of 50 euros a month some less.
Less easy to do with the very old phone the credit we have is on - too small and writing even a short SMS is a pain but doable. Orange have just sent me a message to say I have gone over 50 euros this month. This is Ok but will be followed by another message if I get to 300 and that is it for the month. Donations go to organisation in full and only Orange charge is for an sms message.
An example is: text: Don20 to 92900 and 20 euros is donated to Secours Catholique. Charge on a prepaid phone is debited to the credit balance.
Google "don par SMS" for lots of charities that do it.
We are happy with this route away from Orange. Thanks again for suggestions.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

What a brilliant idea, I always thought it would have been from a credit card but its obvious now you mention it.

And what a great solution to the cheating money grabbing gits, I wish it had existed or I had know about it when Orange, NRJ, Lebara and others whose name I cant recall all stole my supposedly protected for life PAYG credit balances

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Hereford wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:02 pm

Less easy to do with the very old phone the credit we have is on - too small and writing even a short SMS is a pain but doable.
Its the opposite with my eye problems, I cannot judge what letter my finger or thumb is touching on a smartphone but on the old school Nokia with ABC DEF GHI buttons and predictive text I am still very capable, trouble is I cannot read the display :oops:

Hereford

Post by Hereford »

I can imagine that Le D - I use a soft rubber topped little stick to type on a smart phone as otherwise I type rubbish.
It will not be all that quick to get rid of as much credit as I want but I shall keep at it!

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Whilst its smaller the same problem occurs with monocular vision of precisely placing a small object, handwriting and especially writing inbetween those stupidly small individual letter boxes on French formulaires is a real challenge, putting a screwdriver in a screw slot very hard also.

With most things the brain finds a way to compensate, and this is not the first time for me with this disability but the keypad on a smartphone even on a tablette is a real problem, on a key board you can feel a mistype.