Two people have died from wasp stings in the Cher

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Two people have died from wasp stings in the Cher

Post by mysty »

The headlines in bricomarche today on the news stand was, two died in the Cher from wasp stings.
I got bitten on the arm this week it did swell up a bit but obviously did not kill me.
Last night with the window open and lights on we did get one of the big waspy things in, the window got shut and his life was terminated as he stung the light.
Watch out for wasps.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Fitter

Re: Two people have died from wasp stings in the Cher

Post by Fitter »

mysty wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:00 pm
The headlines in bricomarche today on the news stand was, two died in the Cher from wasp stings.
I got bitten on the arm this week it did swell up a bit but obviously did not kill me.
Last night with the window open and lights on we did get one of the big waspy things in, the window got shut and his life was terminated as he stung the light.
Watch out for wasps.
Sounds as if you need some fly screens, the Aldi/Lidl diy kits are excellent and cheap when they have them in.

One of the ones that died - the 89 year old who had a pacemaker, stuck his (walking?) cane down the hole that was the wasp's nest - Darwin award?

We have not seen more than two or three wasps all this season so far, nor hornets, european or asian.
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.” ― Mark Twain
"You can't say A causes B if B happens first" - Thomas Sowell

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

That unfortunate elderly man was unlucky - it could gave been any old hole that he stuck his stick into, I suppose.

The death of the young woman was a tragedy. She had previously been stung and suffered a reaction, what a great pity that she hadn’t been prescribed epipens to carry with her, her life might not have been lost.

Mysty, do take great care if you’re stung - the effects can build up with each sting; the effects were much worse for me and I’ve been very grateful several times to have epipens that I could use immediately. It was also worse for the young man who was stung while attending to the wasp nest in our roof.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Fitter wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:31 pm
mysty wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:00 pm
Watch out for wasps.
Sounds as if you need some fly screens, the Aldi/Lidl diy kits are excellent and cheap when they have them in.

One of the ones that died - the 89 year old who had a pacemaker, stuck his (walking?) cane down the hole that was the wasp's nest - Darwin award?

We have not seen more than two or three wasps all this season so far, nor hornets, european or asian.
We have nets but open it up for the cat to come in and out at night.
If we have the light on which is not unusual we get the giant wasps at night.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Gardengirl wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:18 pm
That unfortunate elderly man was unlucky - it could gave been any old hole that he stuck his stick into, I suppose.

The death of the young woman was a tragedy. She had previously been stung and suffered a reaction, what a great pity that she hadn’t been prescribed epipens to carry with her, her life might not have been lost.

Mysty, do take great care if you’re stung - the effects can build up with each sting; the effects were much worse for me and I’ve been very grateful several times to have epipens that I could use immediately. It was also worse for the young man who was stung while attending to the wasp nest in our roof.
It was a tiny thing that got me when I was weeding near the pond, it came out of the ground.
I did not have my training shoes on right so my escape was slower than it should have been.
The following day I returned with killer spray but no one was about.

Doug

Post by Doug »

[quote mysty
We have nets but open it up for the cat to come in and out at night.
If we have the light on which is not unusual we get the giant wasps at night.
[/quote]

Are you sure its wasps, your giant wasps post makes me think that its hornets, they are more likey to be attracted to the light at night than wasps. They make a lot more noise flying so easy to tell.

mysty

Post by mysty »

They look like huge wasps, same colour but as you say make more noise. So probably hornets.
Will check mr google. :oops:

Ally

Post by Ally »

If they are hornets and one stings you, you'll not be laughing about it. You really don't want hornets in your vicinity. There is a giant wood wasp which I believe doesn't sting. It's bigger than a hornet at 5 to 6 cm long. I've only ever seen one and in my ignorance, I killed it.

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

The last few days have seen the wasps actually sheltering inside the front door to get away from the heat. When the temperature drops a little they fly back out.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

tim17

Post by tim17 »

This summer I've had to deal with several nests and after suffering a bad reaction to multiple stings a couple of years ago now wear a beekeepers suit. Can't see this getting any better with mild winters and hot summers.