Snooker players' nicknames.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
ajm

Re: Snooker players' nicknames.

Post by ajm »

Tom wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:33 pm
The Crucible is hot again which set me thinking about the past and the present players' nicknames. Some are delightfully apt.... The Rocket: The Wizard of Wishall: The Hurricane: The Ace in the Pack are all relatively self-explanatory but then there is The Jester from Leicester and Mark Selby, who enjoys this sobriquet, never appears to be a particularly jokey sort of person.

Whenever Mark is playing I tend to cringe because he spends so much time walking round the table, calculating each shot and then, just when you think he's finally settled, he'll decide to get up to re-chalk his cue once again. Truly, I've sometimes drifted off to sleep and then woken up only to find that nothing at all has changed.

:lol: But it suddenly dawned on me why he is called The Jester... it must be because he spends so much time fooling around.

Does anyone else also enjoy watching snooker?
His nickname of Jester is because it rhymes with Leicester. What would his nickname be if ne came from Wick? :lol:
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Ally wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:51 pm
Is there not one where the thrower, the batter and the catcher were called something like Willey, Lilley and Dilly, not necessarily in that order?
That's silly.

ajm

Post by ajm »

jsks wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 pm
Ally wrote:
Is there not one where the thrower, the batter and the catcher were called something like Willey, Lilley and Dilly, not necessarily in that order?
That's silly.
That was the time when the tms team said that the batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey. :lol:
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

ajm wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:45 pm
jsks wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:40 pm
Ally wrote:
That's silly.
That was the time when the tms team said that the batsman's Holding the bowler's Willey. :lol:
You really do need to read previous posts in a topic, ajm.
rabbit wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:36 pm
ajm wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm
I remember an occasion when Fred Davis was trying to stretch across the table and because he didn't like using the rest he played the shot left-handed. The commentator said something along the lines " of course at his age he can't get his leg over so he has to use the other hand"
:lol:
That is almost as good as Brian Johnston's famous test match announcement " The batsman Holding the bowlers Willey".
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Ally

Post by Ally »

They all laughed at Christopher Columbus when he said the world was round ...

Lillee c Willey b Dilley:

Although I don't know what it has to do with snooker. Who started that?

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:52 pm
You really do need to read previous posts in a topic, ajm.
His is grammatically correct though.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

The batsman’s Holding thé bowler’s Willey.

Tom

Post by Tom »

:D Two exciting semi-finals finished today. I'm pleased that Ronnie is through because he's so entertaining to watch. The final could be good too.
“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle