Snooker players' nicknames.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
treiziste

Re: Snooker players' nicknames.

Post by treiziste »

Monsieur3seas wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:25 am
there was a bit of a bust up between Clark and McGill yesterday.
seems to me that the game is not as friendly as perceived.
I played snooker when i was working in N Africa - most construction sites had snooker tables and some of the locals enjoyed the game as well as the expats. there was a high standard of play too. a lot of good snooker players are good at golf also - I am not so good at both altho both enjoyable.
I’m rubbish at both.

The McGill v Clark bust up started a couple of days back when McGill got the hump complaining that Clark was purposely obstructing his line of view by standing instead of sitting. Much ado about nothing but the jock was looking for an excuse to blame anything but himself for rubbish play.
McGill eventually won a tight encounter and meets Kurt Marlin who himself received a warning for un gentlemanly conduct in a previous round.

Ally

Post by Ally »

The Russian guy was very good. Inov the Red.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

rabbit wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 am
Why are there no female players at the Crucible?
Probably because this is a mens tournament?
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Me & my mates started playing snooker at about 13 yoa in the local church hall going there straight from school & not getting home till very late. By about 16 we'd entered the local 2nd division league where most snooker was played in conservative clubs & like. None of us were old enough to drink & really not eligible to enter these clubs but were tolerated. We won the 2nd division at the first try & were well placed in Div 1 the following years.
We were all quite usefull players & when our club hosted Fred Davis, the legendry Joe's brother, I was chosen to play an exhibition match with him.
I broke off, Fred played a safety & a series of safety play followed untill I cocked up & sat back to watch Fred pretty much clear the table.
Oh the arrogance of youth to think I could give this bloke a game. I'll never forget getting hammered by Fred. :D

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

treiziste wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:30 am
Monsieur3seas wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:25 am
there was a bit of a bust up between Clark and McGill yesterday.
seems to me that the game is not as friendly as perceived.
I played snooker when i was working in N Africa - most construction sites had snooker tables and some of the locals enjoyed the game as well as the expats. there was a high standard of play too. a lot of good snooker players are good at golf also - I am not so good at both altho both enjoyable.
I’m rubbish at both.

The McGill v Clark bust up started a couple of days back when McGill got the hump complaining that Clark was purposely obstructing his line of view by standing instead of sitting. Much ado about nothing but the jock was looking for an excuse to blame anything but himself for rubbish play.
McGill eventually won a tight encounter and meets Kurt Marlin who himself received a warning for un gentlemanly conduct in a previous round.
I recall an incident many years ago between Alex Higgins and the referee when Alex asked him to move. The referee responded that he was not in his line of sight to which Alex said, but you are in my line of thought!

ajm

Post by ajm »

I remember an occasion when Fred Davis was trying to stretch across the table and because he didn't like using the rest he played the shot left-handed. The commentator said something along the lines " of course at his age he can't get his leg over so he has to use the other hand"
:lol:
If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. Mae West.

Tom

Post by Tom »

Oh the arrogance of youth to think I could give this bloke a game. I'll never forget getting hammered by Fred. :D
:lol: That made me smile. The same happened to me in a different context and it's a salutary experience.

:D Mark Selby is playing well today and has been entertaining to watch for a change.
“He who laughs last didn’t get the joke.”
– Charles de Gaulle

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Ally wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:09 am
rabbit wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:13 am
Why are there no female players at the Crucible?
There are. Behind the bar.
Naughty boy

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

ajm wrote:
Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:09 pm
I remember an occasion when Fred Davis was trying to stretch across the table and because he didn't like using the rest he played the shot left-handed. The commentator said something along the lines " of course at his age he can't get his leg over so he has to use the other hand"
:lol:
That is almost as good as Brian Johnston's famous test match announcement " The batsman Holding the bowlers Willey".

Ally

Post by Ally »

Is there not one where the thrower, the batter and the catcher were called something like Willey, Lilley and Dilly, not necessarily in that order?