You cannot use these they are the good ones

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Joinfrance

Re: You cannot use these they are the good ones

Post by Joinfrance »

Never managed to have a ‘for best’ cupboard, but was just looking and decided I have one now. It’s out of reach and has my mums china in it... I get it down if there is going to be someone to put it back! When I put it up there it was because I could reach it then... and I reckoned it was going to get broken very quickly, whereas my ‘ordinary’ China was not...
Ho hum. Such is life...

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I think with the way the world is going at the moment we need to have a long hard "think". Any one of us could be cut short unexpectedly and I don't see the point in keeping the best of your goodies tucked away to impress guests with on special occasions. If you really cherish something because it is beautiful then get some use out of it and enjoy it while you still can. Chances are the people you are trying to honour by dragging it out of hiding twice a year would be just as happy with something from Lidls or Ikea.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

jsks

Post by jsks »

When we were in Waterford last year Mrs JSKS saw a pair of wine flutes that, I hate to admit, were strikingly attractive yet very simply designed.

So she bought them and they now sit attractively on a shelf. But... under no circumstances I am allowed to touch them, never mind drink from them. How much for this little folly? €195, that's how much. Madness.

Veem

Post by Veem »

jsks wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:00 pm
When we were in Waterford last year Mrs JSKS saw a pair of wine flutes that, I hate to admit, were strikingly attractive yet very simply designed.

So she bought them and they now sit attractively on a shelf. But... under no circumstances I am allowed to touch them, never mind drink from them. How much for this little folly? €195, that's how much. Madness.
Oh, that got me rushing to look at Waterford crystal! they are so elegant and classy. I can't blame Mrs jsks for not wanting to risk breaking them and therefore keeping them on the shelf. But I have to say I'd have to use them just once in a while to appreciate their quality. It's a bit like drinking tea out of proper fine china cups with a saucer ......... That beats tea out of a common mug any day.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Veem wrote:
Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:12 pm
jsks wrote:

Oh, that got me rushing to look at Waterford crystal! they are so elegant and classy. I can't blame Mrs jsks for not wanting to risk breaking them and therefore keeping them on the shelf. But I have to say I'd have to use them just once in a while to appreciate their quality. It's a bit like drinking tea out of proper fine china cups with a saucer ......... That beats tea out of a common mug any day.
Oh no, it doesn't.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

exile

Post by exile »

jsks wrote:

Some things are meant to be used. Others are meant to be looked at and enjoyed in that state.

Da Vinci's Mona Lisa was not, I suggest, painted to cover that tar stain on the chimney breast.

Ally

Post by Ally »

jsks wrote:

It's a sorry day, so it is, when a boy from the Shankill can't get something out of a flute.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

Like someone else posted here, I used to get Waterford Crystal glasses as and when I could afford them - usually one at a time and in the A&N Store sales. I still have many of the wine glasses, flutes and whisky tumblers all in the Lismore pattern. Some have suffered a dink or two around the rim but it is possible to grind these out (if not massive) and Lismore is quite generous between the top of the engraving and the rim so minor differences in height are not obvious. :good:

In 1995 my dog won the agility competition at the RSPCA's Scruffs dog show. It was at a center somewhere in Surrey. The first prize was a Waterford Crystal rose bowl engraved with the show title, competition and date. Alas, not the Lismore pattern but very handsome. I daresn't think how much it would cost to buy! :o