Never a dull moment here!

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Never a dull moment here!

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Following on from my recent posting about the goings on at the building at the end of my terrace I should have been carefull of what I wished for.

From the last posting:

A type gets out, removes a baseball bat from the boot and enters the building at the end of the terrace presumably to give the good news to one or more of the occupants, 10 minutes later a young guy runs out and has it away on his toes past my building, the Gendarme told me it was the victim and not the malfaiteur who then hurriedly returned to his car (still carrying Mr Wood!) did a U turn so the Gendarme could confirm the vehicle has the same plaque number front and back and then drove off.

Lets hope that this will bring to an end the current tenants but its a real dive of a building and they always are of the same type.

Sunday the ground floor tenants were forcibly evicted but not in the legal manner by a huissier but by a bunch of bouncer types (the owner of the building runs the nighclub :roll: )

This morning I woke up to find the road blocked off, 8 vehicules of the Sapeur Pompiers, Gendarmerie, Gaz de France & too many people milling around to count, I was told that a vehicle had crashed into a compteur gaz at the building in question. Its a 20 mph pedestrianised zone and the building is beside a PàD junction on a raised traffic calming platform so vehicules normally travel quite slowly there, knowing what had gone on Sunday I was suspicious and once they had all gone to lunch :lol: I went for a closer look.

I will upload the photos in a minute, need to do that from my phone, the vehicle had been carefully driven through one of the bollards preventing parking on the footpath then passed through a narrow gap between the lamp post and the other bollards and then swerved violently left into the front door and gas compteur of the building, despite the impact which has cause structural damage on the second floor none of the airbags had deployed.
IMG_20200806_133607.jpg
IMG_20200806_132805.jpg

mysty

Re: Never a dull moment here!

Post by mysty »

You should have sold up years ago when you were offered mega money for your place.
Then you could have lived in real France, where there is little in the way of crime or trouble.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

We are getting back to Tours again aren’t we

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I never said I was offered mega money in case anyone takes your joke as gospel.

The offer that I had was nowhere near the value but in hindsight with the situation today and the outlook for the future it was indeed mega money, never knowing the peak of anything is the story of my life.

Last year there were 105 hôtel rooms available between the 5 hotels in town and pretty much fully booked in the summer months, always close to full occupancy.

This year 3 have gone bust and wont ever re-open, the newly built Ibis that accounted for more than 50% of the available rooms re-opened in July but only midweek and was closed at weekends, they were at 30% occupancy for the 4 nights only, they have closed for the whole of August and I have my doubts that they will re-open, there are currently only 19 rooms available between the 2 dilapidated old hôtels remaining and they dont look like they have any customers aside from the bar & restaurant.

curtis

Post by curtis »

Well, that cuts down the "opposition" a little , doesn't it ?
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

mysty

Post by mysty »

You do have a competitive advantage against all the other hotels.
They pay taxes and charges as a hotel.
I think from memory your tax free and not a registered hotel.
If we could get away without paying TVA we would be very well off.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I feel for them Curtis but I have to be honest and say that after all the suffering a reduction in supply will be welcome but not from the hôtels.

There were never enough Hôtel rooms, even the Ibis arriving and doubling the supply did not put a dent in the demand especially 2014 - 2017, the building was contructed to gu up another 2 levels and double the number of rooms and after 2016 they were definitely going ahead with it.

There was an explosion of gîtes, CDH's and AirBnB's created, most give up after a few months and others spring up only to do the same, that continues even during the confinement in fact it has increased, crazy!

Mysty, each business pays taxes and charges according to their statute and régime, please stop making remarks like I am tax free, I am not a hôtel so not registered as one but under a different category, I pay taxes and charges according to my turnover, unlike a larger business I cannot deduct costs, this year I will pay taxes and charges despite making a substantial loss, thats how it is, I am not complaining.

I am a different market to the hôtels and not in direct competition which is why we can work together, however when there is only one fifth of the availability if all the rooms get booked then people will have to look elsewhere.

Some want a bed and a bar restaurant where they can mix with others while away from home, a smaller group often female business travellers want the opposite, anyone who is vegetarien, vegan or with special dietary needs, families etc choose self catering rather than a hôtel, I would say that CDH's are the closest alternative to hôtels.

If you pay TVA then you must be able to reclaim the TVA on your materials and expenses including your vehicles, is that not so?

I can understand that the benefit is probably not worth the accounting time and comptable charges and that without paying the TVA on the added value on each sale (as you recently described) you could sell properties for less money and make more sales.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

During our last 10 years in the Finistere countryside we had 3 murders, 1 attempted murder and a hit and run death. Still enjoyed every minute though. :good:
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

whyme?

Post by whyme? »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:09 pm

Mysty, each business pays taxes and charges according to their statute and régime, please stop making remarks like I am tax free, I am not a hôtel so not registered as one but under a different category, I pay taxes and charges according to my turnover, unlike a larger business I cannot deduct costs, this year I will pay taxes and charges despite making a substantial loss, thats how it is, I am not complaining.

I've asked before & as I've never had the courtesy of an answer, I'll ask again.
If you are are not a hotel, why do you keep calling it a hotel?

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:29 pm
During our last 10 years in the Finistere countryside we had 3 murders, 1 attempted murder and a hit and run death. Still enjoyed every minute though. :good:
All in the same village?
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen