How good is a standard face mask

A place for some light-hearted chat.
jsks

Re: How good is a standard face mask

Post by jsks »

Ally wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:09 pm
Unless you are saying masks do absolutely nothing then wearing one must be an improvement on not wearing one and everyone wearing one must be a further improvement on that. No?
Its not the masks per se that concern me, it's that they give a very false sense of protection and therefore encourage people to venture into enclosed spaces such as shops, hairdressers etc thinking they are in some way protecting themselves.

There is conflicting evidence on the microbial barrier afforded by the typical blue examination masks. In fact a mask that has been worn for some time harbours quite a soup of potential pathogens. 20 minutes is the maximum usable life. I'd be pretty confident those people wandering around Carrefour don't change masks every 20 minutes. But they will be fiddling with them just to reload their hands with bugs and transfer any picked up bugs to their face.

So there is every chance they do as much harm as good. But at least it makes people think something's being done.

Ally

Post by Ally »

DON'T!
IMG_20200807_000516.jpg

SW31girl

Post by SW31girl »

I know I fiddle with the mask. When I go I to the supermarket I use gel on my hands before I enter and again when I take the mask off.

In ancient times cats were worshipped as gods; they have not forgotten this - Terry Pratchett

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

Ally wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:06 am
DON'T!
You should send a box to Bald Eagle to use when he's pegging with his family! :D