Spellcheck in Hotmail/Outlook

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
Le Démerdeur

Spellcheck in Hotmail/Outlook

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have always had spellcheck when typing in Hotmail (Outlook as they now call it) and it was the same squiggly red lines that appear when I type a posting here, the dictionary has always been set for French which is where I need the most help especially with the accents.

Today when sending an E-mail I typed je m'excuse and the red line appeared, when I clicked on it it was offering me "excuse" and further playing around showed it was only offering English spell correction.

Now when I type an E-mail the spell check does not appear at all, I have made no changes to any settings and its working as it should on this forum, I assume that its some kind of Windows add on.

It really is a problem as without it my written communication in French is very poor, does anyone know where the settings are found in Hotmail/Outlook, over the years it has got more and more complicated and even a basic thing like adding a recipient to my contacts list so that their messages appear in my inbox is now impossible, if I do find how to get there and do it their stuff still goes to junkmail, other times it doesn't, others who I reply to once then get in the inbox when I dont want them to, even spam sometimes gets in but not mail from contacts.

anyway thats too much info, ca, anyone help re the spellcheck please?

Le Démerdeur

Re: Spellcheck in Hotmail/Outlook

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I have some relevant info.

The spellcheck only starts working when you type more than one line in hotmail, unlike this site where it is immediate, the problem however is that its using the English dictionary and proposing English words.

On this site its working as it always has, because I am typing in English most words are squiggled, on the first line if I click on the highlighted "some" it will propose Somme which is what it should be doing. If I write in franglais and wrote clavyer it will red line it and suggest the correct spelling clavier.

I have learned that Hotmail (now Outlook) does not have a spellcheck but uses the one of my browser (Firefox) which this site seems to also, so the question is why is an English dictionary being used in Hotmail and the correct (for my preferred settings) French one being used as it does here? and how to resolve it?

It really is a big problem for my E-mail communications as the vast majority are in French.

coconier

Post by coconier »

I don't have the answer but maybe your firefox settings have changed.

elsie

Post by elsie »

As you are using Firefox, go to Tools then Options. Type spell into the Find in Options box at the top.

That will take you to the spell checker options and you change your language there by clicking in Set Alternatives. You may need download French.

A recent Firefox upgrade has probably reset the language to US English.

Crabtree

Post by Crabtree »

Use Thunderbird for your email.
Just add the 'French-Current (FRANCE) spell checker Dictionary' add-on.

Works perfect.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Crabtree wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Works perfect.
My Thunderbird (the latest version) hangs quite often due to non-responding scripts, it would be nice to find a way around that.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I'm stuck with hotmail, I have a very good E-mail address that I have had for over 20 years and now an address for the business, any change brings no end of traumatic problems and zero benefits for someone so computer unsavvy as me and who has zero computer support from his entourage in France.

I know the suggestions are well meaning and at least this time I dont have to respond to the usual "why on earth would anybody.............." but I amlooking for a solution to the Hotmail enigma.

Elsie.

I can have a look but my Firefox is in the French language and often the menu structure does not follow the same order, however the spellcheck language remains in French wherever else I type like here for instance so I dont believe that its to do with that but will check.

Orthographe Langue is set to French as I thought, no other languages are selected, its set to vérifier l'orthographe pendant la saisie and just corrected vérifier for me to include the accent.

Crabtree

Post by Crabtree »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:27 pm
Crabtree wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Works perfect.
My Thunderbird (the latest version) hangs quite often due to non-responding scripts, it would be nice to find a way around that.
You might need to create a new Thunderbird profile.
It is quite easy to do, internet search will show you how.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I still have not resolved this and its causing me considerable grief, I have gone from someone who could communicate reasonably well by E-mail with correct spelling & accents commensurate with the limits of my vocabulary to writing like a petit Négre.

I have found one very strange thing which might lead someone to what is causing the problem.

When I type the subject line of the E-mail it still has the correct French spellcheck and mis-spelt words or those missing accents have a red squiggle underneath exactly as when I write on here except of course writing in English most is highlighted, I thinks its using the browsers spellcheck which has always been set to French.

When I tab down to the body of the message nothing happens until 2 or more lines of text or a second paragraph and then the words above have a different form of red squiggle, the suggestions are in English not what I wanted or had, most of my E-mails are in French, and now also there are blue underlined words with grammar suggestions like "perhaps you need a comma here" etc.

Any ideas? other than telling me to change E-mail provider which I have already explained I dont want to do and the reasons why.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Until you resolve the hotmail issue you could type your mail in Word which has a good french spell check and then copy and paste your text into hotmail. There is no need to change your email provider or email address, you can just change the email client. I don’t like the Windows mail client I use Mailbird which is excellent