A place for some light-hearted chat.
Elizabeth

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by Elizabeth »

Ally wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 am
Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am
i can remember Juan Carlos coming to the throne,and the praise for him after Franco. Wasn’t there some talk that he had a relationship with someone who is deceased but still iconic?
Surely even in Spain that's illegal. Although I've just read that there are 8 states in the USA where there are no statutes making it illegal.

See what I did there?
Oh yes I see 😜She was alive at the time of the alleged relationship

Ally

Post by Ally »

No no no. I brought the discussion back to Queen.
Of course she was alive. I was making a cheap joke. Royals don't engage in perverse activities. Duh! Another one.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

Sorry Ally I gave you more credit than you were due. I was thinking someBODY to love

Ally

Post by Ally »

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:36 pm
Sorry Ally I gave you more credit than you were due. I was thinking someBODY to love
That too! If you look you'll see I set it to start at 52 seconds. "Find me some body to love" without the preamble.

PS Ally's top tip of the day: To start a YouTube video at specified point append the following to the URL

#t=x

where x = the number of seconds from the beginning to your intended start point.

Minutes and seconds is possible but more can go wrong with the syntax.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

We have to separate the Head of State from the hangers on.
Nobody can say that out Queen has anything but a brilliant job, as did her father.
The hangers on are a different matter; there is a strong case for a slimmed down Royal Family of say monarch, partner and heir with family. The rest can work for a living as many do or opt to take on duties, but not if they want a free ride. Princess Anne seems to do a good job, though.
Presidents vary, depending on the constitution and what duties they have . But, I cannot think of anyone in Britain fit for the office at present, particularly if he or she or unknown had some executive powers.
Oh yes, perhaps Attenborough, but then, who wants a saint.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Ally wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:54 pm
PS Ally's top tip of the day: To start a YouTube video at specified point append the following to the URL

#t=x

where x = the number of seconds from the beginning to your intended start point.

Minutes and seconds is possible but more can go wrong with the syntax.
Looks like for once my enquiring nature has got me ahead of the IT game, I have found if you right click on a Youtube video it gives you the option to copy the URL and also copy the URL to start at this point/time.

You just pause it where you want and then do the business.

This should be the video from the 3 minute mark:

Ally

Post by Ally »

Yes. I forgot there were Windows users out there.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

who or what are Queen?

Plog

Post by Plog »

:shock: :shock: :shock:

tim17

Post by tim17 »

Ally wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:25 am
tim17 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 am
I've always thought the UK should become a republic so we can elect a head of state who are usually squeaky clean just like the current incumbent of the White House. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-new-york
It's a weak and lazy argument to point to some less than perfect individual and infer that that is the only alternative to a monarchy, especially one as top heavy as the UKs. Trump's time is limited. The Irish, for example, have had a long line of uncontentious presidents. It also a bit rich to point at others as a Brit when you consider the regime in place in London.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jwebb/2016 ... 55ee351261
A bit dated, but I don't see any evidence of improvement in the intervening years. Of course the fantastically wealthy Windsors who still take from the public purse in good times and bad will be far removed from any shenanigans.
You mean just as weak and lazy as Mysty using a corrupt Royal to infer that they're all like that. ;)

As for the 'bit rich' comment, why shouldn't a Brit comment about other heads of state?