Why you need Royal families

A place for some light-hearted chat.
User avatar
mysty
Posts: 13725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Location: dep18 and 23
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 1852 times

Why you need Royal families

Post by mysty »

You need to be reminded incase you forgot that they are different.
If they are accused of fraud, corruption or under age sex.
They just need to leave the country and that's okay.
It's still life like normal for them.

https://news.sky.com/story/juan-carlos- ... s-12041895
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

tim17
Posts: 1331
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:30 pm
Location: St Jean d'Angely (17)
Been thanked: 396 times

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by tim17 »

I've always thought the UK should become a republic so we can elect a head of state who are usually squeaky clean just like the current incumbent of the White House. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-new-york

Online
Elizabeth
Posts: 1718
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:30 pm
Has thanked: 2033 times
Been thanked: 828 times

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by Elizabeth »

i can remember Juan Carlos coming to the throne,and the praise for him after Franco. Wasn’t there some talk that he had a relationship with someone who is deceased but still iconic?

Ally

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by Ally »

tim17 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 am
I've always thought the UK should become a republic so we can elect a head of state who are usually squeaky clean just like the current incumbent of the White House. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-new-york
It's a weak and lazy argument to point to some less than perfect individual and infer that that is the only alternative to a monarchy, especially one as top heavy as the UKs. Trump's time is limited. The Irish, for example, have had a long line of uncontentious presidents. It also a bit rich to point at others as a Brit when you consider the regime in place in London.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jwebb/2016 ... 55ee351261
A bit dated, but I don't see any evidence of improvement in the intervening years. Of course the fantastically wealthy Windsors who still take from the public purse in good times and bad will be far removed from any shenanigans.

User avatar
mysty
Posts: 13725
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:38 pm
Location: dep18 and 23
Has thanked: 1095 times
Been thanked: 1852 times

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by mysty »

tim17 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 am
I've always thought the UK should become a republic so we can elect a head of state who are usually squeaky clean just like the current incumbent of the White House. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-new-york
If you think about it your logic is flawed.
We have a Government who are far from honest and some iffy royals.
If it was just a Republic then we would only have one group to watch. :)
And according to an interview I heard this morning with Donald and an Australian talking about covid, America has done a fantastic job. :P
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

User avatar
timbo
Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:44 pm
Location: Lot
Has thanked: 63 times
Been thanked: 120 times

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by timbo »

mysty wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:29 am
tim17 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 am
I've always thought the UK should become a republic so we can elect a head of state who are usually squeaky clean just like the current incumbent of the White House. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-new-york
If you think about it your logic is flawed.
We have a Government who are far from honest and some iffy royals.
If it was just a Republic then we would only have one group to watch. :)
And according to an interview I heard this morning with Donald and an Australian talking about covid, America has done a fantastic job. :P
Are you saying that M. Macron is far from honest? I thought you do live in a republic, and the French royals are well hidden!

Ally

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by Ally »

Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am
i can remember Juan Carlos coming to the throne,and the praise for him after Franco. Wasn’t there some talk that he had a relationship with someone who is deceased but still iconic?
Surely even in Spain that's illegal. Although I've just read that there are 8 states in the USA where there are no statutes making it illegal.



See what I did there?

niemeyjt
Posts: 3514
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: Lausanne, 87 and Suffolk
Has thanked: 91 times
Been thanked: 1018 times

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by niemeyjt »

Talking of the Windsors and Andrew . . .

Records Of Prince Andrew’s Location On Night Of Molestation Destroyed By Police

Authorities have destroyed evidence that could have revealed where Prince Andrew was on the night that he is accused of having sex with a teenager.

The UK gets more and more corrupt like the US every day.

b33jay
Posts: 632
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:35 pm
Location: UK
Has thanked: 32 times
Been thanked: 99 times

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by b33jay »

Ally wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:36 am
Elizabeth wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:55 am
i can remember Juan Carlos coming to the throne,and the praise for him after Franco. Wasn’t there some talk that he had a relationship with someone who is deceased but still iconic?
Surely even in Spain that's illegal. Although I've just read that there are 8 states in the USA where there are no statutes making it illegal.



See what I did there?
The effect of ellipsis in the English language.

Online
User avatar
Nifty
Posts: 5966
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:55 am
Has thanked: 582 times
Been thanked: 597 times

Re: Why you need Royal families

Post by Nifty »

timbo wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:34 am
mysty wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:29 am
tim17 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:23 am
I've always thought the UK should become a republic so we can elect a head of state who are usually squeaky clean just like the current incumbent of the White House. :)

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... n-new-york
If you think about it your logic is flawed.
We have a Government who are far from honest and some iffy royals.
If it was just a Republic then we would only have one group to watch. :)
And according to an interview I heard this morning with Donald and an Australian talking about covid, America has done a fantastic job. :P
Not according to Heather Cox Richardson.

She seem to indicate that as far as Trump is concerened, the end could be nigh.

Post Reply