Asian hornets

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
Veem

Asian hornets

Post by Veem »

A few weeks ago we were aware of what we thought was a small, developing wasp nest high up under the roof of our hangar. Recently we'd both noticed the fast increasing size of the nest. The other day I mentioned to Biggles that the wasps looked rather large............. Today he was concerned about how large the nest now is (a bit smaller than a football) and how busy the occupants are, so he did some research. When I got home from shopping he asked me to phone the mairie urgently to seek advice. We then thought to ring our local ex chasse president who is a very keen beekeeper with loads of bee hives in the area. He arrived a bit later in his van from where he confirmed that the nest is definitely one of Asian hornets. Because it's in the hangar and above a load of inflammatory material, he won't burn it but will return with our neighbouring pheasant farmer friend and between them they'll remove the nest and put it in a freezer. He did say that this nest is a 'primaire' and that lately he'd dealt with one 60cm in diameter. I'm glad he didn't ask if I had enough freezer space ...............

Hopefully, they'll return around dusk and do the deed. All doors and windows are now tightly shut and I just pray that should anything go wrong, the hornets don't set off towards the horses' paddock.

Gardengirl

Re: Asian hornets

Post by Gardengirl »

Goodness, Veem, I do hope that they manage to dispose of it safely and that you, they and the horses will be OK. I would think that they’ll be in protective suits to do the deed, but I would have expected them to use something like the ‘bombe’ aerosol such as was used on wasp nests in our external aircon unit in France.

Good luck!

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Done & Dusted! Less than 5 minutes and the nest is in a black bag, tied and destined for someone's freezer. Very efficient and no cost to us. :good:

It wouldn't surprise me to learn, in a few days time, that they'll sell it to Pascal, the Chef, as a much-prized Charentaise delicacy, for €50. ;)
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

manonthemoon

Post by manonthemoon »

I'm pleased for you both that it's gone, but interested as to why it has to be frozen?

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

I assume that it's humane and easy and you don't need to open the bag! :good: :lol:
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

Do these hornets come out at night? We were outside a couple of evenings ago with the lights on and we were invaded by 20 or 30 what appeared to be hornets ( they were 2+mm long). They didn't seem to be particularly aggressive towards us but gathered in groups on the outside walls.

exile

Post by exile »

2mm - that is not very big at all. Did you mean 2 cm?

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

Hornets generally return to their nest at dusk, and become less active, when dealing with them it's the preferred time.

exile

Post by exile »

That was my feeling too, but I could not find anything specific to Asian Hornets.

Captain Morgan

Post by Captain Morgan »

exile wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:23 pm
2mm - that is not very big at all. Did you mean 2 cm?
Sorry, correct 2 cm