Time to ban SUV adverts

A place for some light-hearted chat.
curtis

Re: Time to ban SUV adverts

Post by curtis »

I just thought I would check to see if mine is an SUV. And it is :D Only two wheel drive, so not sure where that places me, comme niveau de "prat".
Drive fast, attract the Police. Drive faster, attract sponsors.

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

Short changed?

curtis

Post by curtis »

No, I opted for 2WD.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

After some research it appears that I am an oilly prat :oops:

My current vehicle (bought as a boredom project to repair from salvage) is an SUV:

As one of the first small family SUVs to hit the market, the Skoda Yeti needed to stand out from the crowd. Chunky, Tonka-toy looks, blistered wheel arches, oversized roof rails and lower-body cladding ensured this was the case, and then there was the name: that of a large, hairy abominable snowman.

And its a 4WD also :oops:

In my defence I did not know when I bought it, the 4x4 badge was just a blur when the photos were enlarged, it was not advertised as a 4x4.

The rear drive is only engaged by a Haldex coupling if traction is lost on the front axle, I have yet to notice it cutting in but the fuel economy certainly suffers with the increased drag of the drivetrain.

Hal

Post by Hal »

I should not really comment as we have a Macan, that I do not drive I hasten to add. SUV? It is a VW golf shoved inside an expensive tin can with a fancy badge on the bonnet, and at £50 a pop on each wheel. The driver, aka my wife, cannot park it and the wheels - bearing in mind there is not yet 1500 miles on the thing - are churned up because '...I can't see where they are...' :roll:

SUVs! Fine if you want one for practical raesons, but use it in a field along with caravans. :D

jsks

Post by jsks »

I must say, although I appreciate the attraction of SUVs I'd only go for one for 4wd reasons. Having a 2wd SUV strikes me as an expensive white elephant when most manufactures equivalent "normal" (same engine, equipment etc) cars are usually a quarter cheaper and use less fuel.

Having said that, in Germany we had 5 consecutive BMW X5s which were terrifically comfortable even if the 3 ltr diesel engines were thirsty and sluggish. The high driving position is handy and the 4wd great in snow.

We had one of the first Range Rover Sports. That was pretty grim - slow, thirsty - but had a great driving position and was highly capable off-road.

All of the above (along with varied BMs, Mercs, Volvos, a Jag XK and a TVR) were bought tax free with NATO discount and sold after 6 months or a year at a profit. No way would I pay the premium for those badges.

Happy still with our now 4-year-old Focus ST Estate.

curtis

Post by curtis »

I couldn't find what I wanted locally so in the end I stayed with Ford and bought a Kuga. It is sufficiently powerful to tow a trailer with a car on it and is comfortable and reasonably well equipped. I certainly didn't want lots of accessories that drive the car for you. And it had a proper handbrake.

jsks

Post by jsks »

Just as an aside. Does anyone else resent paying for metallic paint? Our car is Race Red and is a no cost selection but metallic costs about £600. Am I just mean?

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Timoth wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:19 pm
I thought a bullshit response might be fun!
Aren't all your responses bullshit, Timoth? :lol:
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Love you too FFS. 🤪