Any IT problems opening links or anything else, go to this section .

Computers, Internet & Broadband, IT issues, Phones & Mobiles and televisions.
After the Storm 2

Any IT problems opening links or anything else, go to this section .

Post by After the Storm 2 »

This post is just a reminder that this section exists on the forum. If you have a problem opening links then start a new thread here rather than derail the topic of a thread completely. Threads can drift but when they turn into just IT problems then that is a complete change of topic which just gets repeated on another thread and then that topic is lost, better to have a new thread in this section explaining what the problem is and let other threads stay more on their topics.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Any IT problems opening links or anything else, go to this section .

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Apologies for that, it was partly my fault.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

After the Storm 2

Re: Any IT problems opening links or anything else, go to this section .

Post by After the Storm 2 »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:53 am
Apologies for that, it was partly my fault.
No need to apologise FFS, it wasn’t you that started it if we are talking about the same thread, I appreciate that you were just trying to helpful. It will still be better if anyone has any issues such as opening links that they start a new thread and that way they can be found by anyone else if they have a similar problem as opposed to it taking over threads that no one would think of opening if they had similar issue.

Le Démerdeur

Re: So long and thanks for all the fish!!!!

Post by Le Démerdeur »

EDIT BY ATS. I have moved your post below from another thread today LD. Sorry to move the others which follow this one but it didn't make sense to leave them on the other thread.

These BBC videos that up to now would never play and displayed a message about "license restrictions or whatever" now play the sound track and one second of video before it remaining as a freeze frame, doesnt matter how many times I refresh or wait.

If I drag the cursor over the bottom I can see different images so I know there is a video there.

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only person in France who does not hide behind (if thats the word) a VPN or whatever they are called?

Everybody else seems to be able to view the videos and articles that they post and I can't believe that they are paying subscribers to all the newspapers linked to.

Biggles

Post by Biggles »

Plays properly for us LD, without VPN.
"Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see." — Mark Twain

Lapourtaider

Post by Lapourtaider »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:21 pm

I am beginning to wonder if I am the only person in France who does not hide behind (if thats the word) a VPN or whatever they are called?

Everybody else seems to be able to view the videos and articles that they post and I can't believe that they are paying subscribers to all the newspapers linked to.
No, not the only person without a VPN in France. And I can't view it either, but I am on my old phone whilst waiting for my decent one being repaired, so that may have a bearing.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I am on the computer, it may work on the phone, some things do but with my eyesight I cant see clearly and cannot use the keyboard etc.

Ally

Post by Ally »

I don't normally have difficulty with bbc videos. I did with this. However I opened the bbc news home page in an incognito tab and it worked fine. No VPN.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

My computer showed it after several rewinds.

More worrying is that my address bar shows that there are social media trackers, cross-site tracking cookies and fingerprinters involved with the topic; below is an image of the shield next to the padlock for the https, with the tooltip that pops up against the normally black shield (on the Active topics page):
notrackers.PNG
notrackers.PNG (5.03 KiB) Viewed 122 times
And the image below of what it looks like on this topic:
blockingtrackers.PNG
blockingtrackers.PNG (4.81 KiB) Viewed 122 times
Whether it's due to the BBC video or not, I've no idea, but it doesn't occur on other topics.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

suein56

Post by suein56 »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:21 pm

No VPN here .. and I can watch the videos on an Android tablet, on my laptop etc with no problem.
There must be a setting in your browser that is preventing you from watching.

Did your computer friend setup your system ?

Edit: I use Chrome on all my appliances so perhaps try that on your laptop .. you don't have to make it your default browser .
Computing can bring you closer to others - mentally if not physically