IT'S YORKSHIRE DAY!

A place for some light-hearted chat.
wilbro

Re: IT'S YORKSHIRE DAY!

Post by wilbro »

L-P for your information https://www.britannica.com/place/Yorksh ... ty-England You are speaking of Administrative units and not geography. Yorkshire is an historic county just as England is an historic country.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Wilbro, it says at the beginning of the article you linked to: Yorkshire - former county, England, United Kingdom.

England still exists, Yorkshire (as a county in itself) doesn't.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Loup-garou wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:21 pm
People from Yorkshire ................................. tend to believe and live by their own exaggerated claims.
A severe case of jealousy I think. :lol:
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:24 pm
Wilbro, it says at the beginning of the article you linked to: Yorkshire - former county, England, United Kingdom.

England still exists, Yorkshire (as a county in itself) doesn't.
Rubbish! Our address contains the words North Yorkshire.
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Ally

Post by Ally »

I thought England was extinguished in 1707. It hasn't had a parliament since then, consequently it doesn't have a government. It's not recognized by the UN, it doesn't issue its citizens with passports and it doesn't have it's own currency.
I could be wrong.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 8:55 pm
Loup-garou wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:21 pm
People from Yorkshire ................................. tend to believe and live by their own exaggerated claims.
A severe case of jealousy I think. :lol:
You might be onto something there Bald Eagle - although I don't think that jealousy alone would account for the attitude of people from Yorkshire. :good:

Apropos your respons to FFS, how simply can I put this for you? North Yorkshire does exist; it is Yorkshire that does not. Similarly, North Korea and South Korea exist but Korea does not. Conversely, there is no longer a North or South Vietnam but Vietnam does esist! In fact, North and South Vietnam disappeared in 1975, the year after Yorkshire. :roll:

However, I will heed your advice and “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” :D

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Funny that I get letters from the UK Government to Selby, North Yorkshire. Anyway you proved my tagline correct I'm arguing with an idiot here. :D

jsks

Post by jsks »

Oh dear. Looks like we've got another one here...

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Bald Eagle wrote:
Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:34 pm
Funny that I get letters from the UK Government to Selby, North Yorkshire. Anyway you proved my tagline correct I'm arguing with an idiot here. :D
Which only goes to prove what we've been trying to tell you. Yorkshire. Doesn't. Exist. North Yorkshire does, though, along with its pig-headed and bloody-minded inhabitants.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Ally

Post by Ally »

It was there in October. I drove through it twice.