IT'S YORKSHIRE DAY!

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Bald Eagle

Re: IT'S YORKSHIRE DAY!

Post by Bald Eagle »

Aardvark wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:18 am
I suppose the rest of us can tolerate Yorkshire Day. Its not like people from the region can keep quiet about how wonderful it is for the rest of the year.

Yawn......................zzzzzzzzzz
If you've got it flaunt it Aardvark. :lol:
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

People from Yorkshire are the most common in the UK. That is to say, the population who can claim to be born in Yorkshire are the most plentiful. It follows, therefore, that those same people cannot claim to be special. It also follows that we should not finger-point when the odd Peter Sutcliffe, John Christie, Donald Neilson, Dracula or Ian Botham (the latter two non-native) turn up in their midst. Perhaps, some leeway might be allowed in the case of Jimmy Savile. That said, there is significant evidence that your Yorkshire Tyke tends to hyperbolize their place of birth far more than people born elsewhere in the UK. Although, those born in Scotland, the north west and south west of England can get overzealous sometimes!

Yorkshire Day is "celebrated" on 1 August each year, or summer, as it is known in Yorkshire. It has very little history as it first appeared in 1975. In fact, it is fallacious as this was a year after "Yorkshire" ceased to exist having been split into the imaginative North, South, East and West and other parts of it being donated to Cleveland to the north. :?

Nonetheless, in my opinion, there are parts of Yorkshire which offer stunning and varied countryside of dales, fells, moorland and coastline. There are others parts which are not so attractive - these tend to be where the majority of the inhabitants can be found. :(

A happy day to all those from Yorkshire. Although that salutation is superfluous as they tend to believe and live by their own exaggerated claims.

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

Neither Yorkshire or the Ridings ceased to exist. The new "boundaries" were for legislative purposes only and did not change the geographical facts. Best of both worlds for me, a Scot brought up in the West Riding.

Dilly

Post by Dilly »

Should I be ashamed?
Born in Barnsley, brought up in Dod'orth (all true!) and never heard of Yorkshire day.

Favourite quote:
'ear all, see all, seh nowt.
eit all, sup all, pay nowt.
an' if tha iver does owt for nowt, do it for thissen.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

wilbro wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:37 pm
Neither Yorkshire or the Ridings ceased to exist. The new "boundaries" were for legislative purposes only and did not change the geographical facts.
Many things are retained in the mind Wilbro but it doesn't make them a current reality! :cry:
"Historically, Yorkshire was divided into three ridings and the Ainsty of York. ... In 1974, the three ridings of Yorkshire were abolished and York, which had been independent of the three ridings, was incorporated into the new county called North Yorkshire. It later became part of York Unitary Authority."
Yorkshire - Wikipedia @ en.wikipedia.org › wiki › Yorkshire

What is the point of nomenclature and boundary setting if not for administrative purposes (sorry, don't understand "legislative purposes" here)? You might argue that William I did not change any geographical facts - and you might have a point but it would be meaningless. I once had a long discussion with a Winchester dweller but failed to convince him that he lived in Hampshire and not Wessex. In the end he left the pub, got up onto his horse and cart and went off to deposit his hay. ;)

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

What Yorkshire gave to the world.
Cluedo
Jelly Tots
Stainless steel
Cat’s eyes
Marks and Spencer
Sooty and Sweep
First successful commercial railway line
Plenty more!!!! :D
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

jsks

Post by jsks »

Other things the world owes to Yorkshire:

Rugby League
Worsted wool
Jake Thackery
Cat's eyes
Marks and Spencer
Terry's Chocolate Orange
The flush toilet (Thank you Thomas Crapper)
Guy Fawkes
Wensleydale Cheese
Emmerdale (I didn't say they were all good things)
Building societies

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

‘ Gave ‘

Very unlikely..

Ally

Post by Ally »

Holy shit. Why has Yorkshire never been nuked? I guess that's why you left out Geoffrey Boycott. You knew you were pushing it.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Nifty wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:00 pm
‘ Gave ‘

Very unlikely..
🅱️💥💥Ⓜ️