A place for some light-hearted chat.
Aardvark

Re: I'm sure these eggs are laughing at me

Post by Aardvark »

clothmama wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:43 pm
PatF wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:22 pm
Aardwark - that's because the eggs aren't very fresh. With newlaid eggs the whites are less fluid and stick aroung the yolks.
Fresh egg whites are also quicker to go firm when whipped for meringue etc. and the white sticks to the yolk more when separating.
The bought egg should have a date stamp on it.
What she (he?) said! If I crack a just collected egg you in fact have 3 bits to the egg, the yolk the white and a clear liquid (which gets mixed up with the white after a while to make the white more liquid). So cracking a fresh egg you end up with the white being quite thick and not running about at all! Bought from the shop eggs can actually have been laid weeks and weeks before making it to the supermarkets. Always worth finding a neighbour to sell you some eggs or a shop that has farm eggs (our little hardware store in the village sells them) if you can't keep your own little feather friends!
I'm the only one around here with chickens. One has passed the menopause and the other two are still too young. Stuck with storebought eggs for a few weeks yet. :good:
Last edited by Aardvark on Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:22 pm
mysty wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm
They are to be used by the 10th of August.
PatF wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:17 pm
mysty - I thought the stamp gave the date they were laid, but obviously not.
....... the stamp on the egg is how the chickens are kept, where they are kept, and in what building.
Nope. In the EU the producer code is the only requirement. The way the hens were kept (e.g. "free range") and the date laid are allowed and often used but not a requirement under the legislation.

Bald Eagle

Post by Bald Eagle »

Fresh eggs when cracked into a frying pan have three "layers". Yolk, thick layer of albumen, thinner layer of albumen.
OIP.1sNi5lBTuu0Ta5aRQ_5tLQAAAA.jpg
OIP.1sNi5lBTuu0Ta5aRQ_5tLQAAAA.jpg (5.87 KiB) Viewed 148 times
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

SP1DER wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 pm
mysty wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm
They are to be used by the 10th of August.
PatF wrote:
....... the stamp on the egg is how the chickens are kept, where they are kept, and in what building.
Nope. In the EU the producer code is the only requirement. The way the hens were kept (e.g. "free range") and the date laid are allowed and often used but not a requirement under the legislation.
You may "Nope" all you like, but the eggs we buy are stamped as in the image below and the Best before date is printed on the box. Further details of meanings etc is here: https://blog.pourdebon.com/comment-choisir-ses-oeufs/

"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Gigi

Post by Gigi »

TriciaF wrote:
clothmama - you're the second person on here who thinks I could be masculine - getting a bit worried. I think I'm going to have to change my user name to TriciaF [smile].
As for eggs, we kept chickens all the time we were in France and had lovely eggs from them.
I didn’t think you meant it - this is going to take a bit of getting used to after so long! 🙂

SP1DER

Post by SP1DER »

Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:11 pm
SP1DER wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:49 pm

You may "Nope" all you like, but the eggs we buy are stamped as in the image below and the Best before date is printed on the box. Further details of meanings etc is here: https://blog.pourdebon.com/comment-choisir-ses-oeufs/

Yes the producer prints the info on the egg as per your diagram BUT they can and often do print the production date and the how the birds are kept (as in Free Range). Joe public is not always aware of what the codes on the egg mean and that is why they allow a "more friendly" user description.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_marking

The regulations are enforced by the Egg Marketing Inspectorate and come under EEC regulations and are standardised throughout Europe.

clothmama

Post by clothmama »

TriciaF wrote:
clothmama - you're the second person on here who thinks I could be masculine - getting a bit worried. I think I'm going to have to change my user name to TriciaF [smile].
No it was Pat I was referring too, can be either!
Bald Eagle wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:57 pm
Fresh eggs when cracked into a frying pan have three "layers". Yolk, thick layer of albumen, thinner layer of albumen.
OIP.1sNi5lBTuu0Ta5aRQ_5tLQAAAA.jpg
Just as I explained, well done on thinking of a picture! I had no idea until I'd had one of my own just collected eggs! I think it is literally a day or up to 3 unttil the albumen then mixes so you can tell a super fresh egg!

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

mysty wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:54 am
This is the second time I have had a smiley face looking at me from the frying pan.
It could be someone trying to call me from the after life. :lol:

Yup!

There is always a first time.
Maybe I should tell you all about it one day. 🤩

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

clothmama - I used to be Pat but asked for my username to be changed to Tricia when I realised that maybe I write in a masculine style. I don't want to be thought of as a man :?
Tricia is what my family calls me.