Worst places in the UK, and or France.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Veem

Re: Worst places in the UK, and or France.

Post by Veem »

Aardvark wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:50 pm
Veem wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:13 pm
I thought Whitehaven looked pretty dire on a fairly gloomy day. I'm not certain it would have looked much better under a blue sky.
You should have seen Whitehaven in the late 50s. :roll:
I felt I had, even though my first visit (and my last) was only in 2018. Was it better or worse in the 50s?

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

tim17 wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:46 pm
Seaton Carew and Dover in the UK plus Abbeville here, all bloody rough.
Abbeville, another place not far from me that I really should get to know better, what I have seen of the centre ville, the ZACS around it, the people in them and the people from there who have stayed at my place had all been encouraging.

I will ask you to expand/explain as I did with Treiziste.

I think that only the people who have lived for a reasonable time in any town/city can really judge what its like, I have not spent time in the city centre of St Quentin aside from the gare but have seen more than I want of its banlieues, Abbeville its more the commerces around the rocade and the people but even then you get to see people at work or at leisure (not my kind of leisure) but not what they are like to live beside/amongst.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Did you know that the Americans attacked Whitehaven during the War of Independence? I might be making this up but I believe the reason was that saltpeter, used in gunpowder, was manufactured nearby and exported from there. If it's no true, it sounds good. One of my most favouritest parts of England btw.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Mrs Archy wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:29 pm
Portslade and Port Talbot although I haven't been to either for years so they may have improved.
Port Talbot I only saw through the eyes of a child/teenager, it was a boom town then, I expect it has declined since then.

Portslade 20 years ago on the seafront would have seemed quite an industrial & commercial area compared to Brighton & Hove & Worthing to either side of it but the residential areas seemed equally desirable, I would think that they have become very gentrified now with the ripple effect from Brighton & Worthing.

I remember fitting an alarm in an old house there that had a tiled roof and no felt, it was like a coal cellar with the smoke & dust from the power station (now demolished) that had blown in over the decades, that alone would have made it an unpleasant place to live.

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Veem wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm
Aardvark wrote:
Veem wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:13 pm
I thought Whitehaven looked pretty dire on a fairly gloomy day. I'm not certain it would have looked much better under a blue sky.
I felt I had, even though my first visit (and my last) was only in 2018. Was it better or worse in the 50s?
I can't really say. I never went back. While I was there my uncle took me into Sellafield where he worked to show me around. My life took a bit of a strange path after that.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

Veem

Post by Veem »

Aardvark wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:32 pm
Veem wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:15 pm
Aardvark wrote:

I can't really say. I never went back. While I was there my uncle took me into Sellafield where he worked to show me around. My life took a bit of a strange path after that.
Then perhaps that's the problem. It certainly looked as though it had been unloved for a very long time.

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

Treiziste - I'm very offended. Blyth is my home town. What about the beach?
https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=Blyth+ ... &ia=images
The playground of my childhood - it's still beautiful now.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

I quite like Abbeville and the people, it’s changed a bit since my first visit but not for the worse imo.
I like Metz also, my eldest daughter in law works there and I’ve enjoyed my stays there. Nearby Nancy however is a real dump, again imo.

My next five UK towns are

Grimsby,
Batley,
Barnsley,
Canvey Island,
Brightlingsea.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Seaton Carew.

Birthplace of the palindrome "a man a plan Panama" :lol:

Ally

Post by Ally »

Isn't a palindrome. Is that why it's unpopular?