What's in a name?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
FrenchForumSurvivor

What's in a name?

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

I'm getting to the end of a chick-lit novel (we all have our individual crosses to bear) written by Amanda Lees. In her Acknowledgements at the beginning, she says: "Unlimited thanks to Luigi, Amanda, Arabella, Clare, Jeremy, Neil, Nadya, Caroline, Becky and Emilie: an author's dream team". The principal players in the novel are named Alex (female), Nick, and Simon, they work in fashion and publishing. The 'bad' guy's called Richard, who is a banker, and his parents are Mike and Carol, from Romford.

There's a self-satisfied smugness on the protagonists' side, but from the names alone, you just know that there's a class theme behind the writing.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Stompie

Re: What's in a name?

Post by Stompie »

I see the class theme in the thanks list - and I'd make an educated guess at their ages but the fictional names all seem fairly ordinary?
Though Richard the banker amused me slightly.
I'm also quite intrigued by your choice of reading..

FrenchForumSurvivor

Stompie wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:42 pm
I see the class theme in the thanks list - and I'd make an educated guess at their ages but the fictional names all seem fairly ordinary?
Though Richard the banker amused me slightly.
I'm also quite intrigued by your choice of reading..
I buy my English books at 10 cents each from a 'recyclerie' not far from us, trying to spend not more than 1€ each visit (10 books, 2 or 3 months' reading). Eclectic choices, by what seems interesting blurb on the back cover.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

After the Storm 2

Post by After the Storm 2 »

Your thread has made me realise that my choice of music is eclectic but I can’t say the same for my reading material. I had to google chick-lit novels :oops:, I have a lot of climbing books I could send you :D
“Re - Nissan. Let’s wait and see, eh? The truth comes out when looking back, not looking forward through rhetoric.”

FrenchForumSurvivor

After the Storm 2 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:13 pm
Your thread has made me realise that my choice of music is eclectic but I can’t say the same for my reading material. I had to google chick-lit novels :oops:, I have a lot of climbing books I could send you :D
It's a very kind offer, but I prefer my books to stay in one place.