Annual meteor shower

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Plog

Re: Annual meteor shower

Post by Plog »

elsie wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:10 pm
I don't know if it will show it in this cropped composite of about 20 images but there is also a dashed line of a satellite across the centre top right to bottom left Image
Yep, it's just visible..thanks for sharing that

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

clothmama wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 8:39 pm
My son has his GF over, they were supposed to be sleeping on the trampoline to watch but we actually have rain :good: :good: :good: and clouds so tonight being the peak (and I always watch and wish my big sis a happy birthday!) it will sadly be a flop here in the Périgod Blanc!
A young couple sleeping on a trampoline? A flop? I think someone needs to have a word. 8-)
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

elsie

Post by elsie »

For those wondering why the satellite image is dashed, I was taking a series of photographs of the Milky Way with a 2.5s exposure followed by a 3s delay before the next. In total that series was 48 not 20 images, giving an effective exposure of 120s. The images were then stacked using the stars as the fixed points. A single 120s exposure would have given smeared stars due to the earth rotation. Stacking that way the fixed ground objects are blurred. The satellite appeared on 10 images. The shooting star on one.

Looking back at the Heavens-Above Android app https://www.heavens-above.com there were several satellites passing over at about that time. But my camera clock is not accurate as there is always a slight time drift and I think the retrospective web site calculations can be inaccurate, so I'm not sure which it was. There are always plenty of satellites passing overhead and many are visible. This is another web site which you can use to see satellite passes https://in-the-sky.org/satpasses.php? Magnitude 6.5 is the limit of human visibilty. Those of magnitude 4 should be easily visible (the smaller the magnitude number the brighter). Most of the Starlink satellites magnitudes are in the range 4-10.