I always felt that I was a martyr!

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

I always felt that I was a martyr!

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Sharing this with you means giving away my birthdate but most others on the forum have done so and get a happy birthday from Mysty.

It has always surprised me that French girlfriends ask what is my birthday and know immediately what Saints day it is, do they really learn all 365 of them at school or just the special ones for perfect people like myself, :lol:

Indeed my birthday is le jour de St Parfait which has always amused me.

Tonight I googled it and found there is a dark back story reminiscent of Charlie Hebdo and shows how little has changed in nearly 3000 years :(

Parfait de Cordoue, en latin Perfectus, était un prêtre chrétien de Cordoue en Espagne qui fut décapité par les musulmans le 18 avril 850, jour de Pâques, pour avoir refusé de retirer ses propos sur Mahomet1. Plusieurs chrétiens sont massacrés en représailles par les musulmans d'Al-Andalus. Il est considéré comme l'un des plus grands martyrs de son époque. Son supplice, enregistré par saint Euloge, figure dans le Memoriale sanctorum.

mysty

Re: I always felt that I was a martyr!

Post by mysty »

Girl friends ask your birth date, I suppose that a different type of small talk.
How many have you had and how come your single being the forum pin up and all. ;)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:23 am
Sharing this with you means giving away my birthdate but most others on the forum have done so and get a happy birthday from Mysty.

It has always surprised me that French girlfriends ask what is my birthday and know immediately what Saints day it is, do they really learn all 365 of them at school or just the special ones for perfect people like myself, :lol:

Indeed my birthday is le jour de St Parfait which has always amused me.

Tonight I googled it and found there is a dark back story reminiscent of Charlie Hebdo and shows how little has changed in nearly 3000 years :(

Parfait de Cordoue, en latin Perfectus, était un prêtre chrétien de Cordoue en Espagne qui fut décapité par les musulmans le 18 avril 850, jour de Pâques, pour avoir refusé de retirer ses propos sur Mahomet1. Plusieurs chrétiens sont massacrés en représailles par les musulmans d'Al-Andalus. Il est considéré comme l'un des plus grands martyrs de son époque. Son supplice, enregistré par saint Euloge, figure dans le Memoriale sanctorum.
Is your first name Tom by any chance?

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

mysty wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:18 am
Girl friends ask your birth date, I suppose that a different type of small talk.
How many have you had?
Most of them Mysty :lol:

mysty

Post by mysty »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:38 pm
mysty wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:18 am
How many have you had?
Most of them Mysty :lol:
Do you have links or attestations to back up your claim. ;)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I am a gentleman Mysty and not a footballer in the locker room :( which is why I did not say "all"

In most cases I am the one that ends up being had.

All women ask the birthday of their new boyfriends, many are into the star signs, I dont even know what dates they are apart from my own, its beyond my comprehension that French women should know the names and dates of 366 Saints :o

My theory is they ask for your birthdate because you will feel obliged by la politesse to reciprocate and they expect you to remember it, I never do :(

Monsieur3seas

Post by Monsieur3seas »

My OH had to learn all the departments and their associated numbers - not 365 but 70 ish. When she sees a bad driver she immediately checks the number plates and tells me where they're from - evidently those from dept 44 are the worst drivers....