Avocats

george

Avocats

Post by george » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Hello

Thanks to the person/people who set this new forum up. It looks great

Question please
How have people found French Avocats in general. Anybody had positive or negative experiences ? Are they ethical or dodgy or just plain greedy. Are they well regulated ? Are they in with Prosecutors, Judges, in other words are they corrupt, inept or progressive, going through the motions, pretending, lying etc etc. Should a person see more than one for an opinion ? All views welcome, thanks
E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

CelticRambler

Re: Avocats

Post by CelticRambler » Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:42 pm

Limited experience, but they seem to be the ultimate French stereotype - sticklers for box-ticking and doing things in order with the least possible amount of creative thinking. I have been looking for one with "a very special set of skills" to take on an institution :evil: and so far failed to find anyone that isn't pretty much a jack-of-all-trades. Even asking my generally friendly local notaire for a recommendation was met with a dazed "why would you?" reaction. :roll: Perhaps that translates into the rest of the judicial process, and the kind of savage legal battle common in the anglophone world is completely alien to the French.

As a rule, your common-or-garden avocat isn't any more corrupt or inept than the local boulanger or doctor, and many of them propose an introductory consultation for free, so if you can get that kind of an offer, you could at least get a two or three first takes on the problem.

george

Post by george » Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:54 pm

Thanks Celtic Rambler

Great insights on the myopic, robotic, absolute absence of solution or innovative centred thinking that seems to prevail in many of the institutions of this otherwise fair and pleasant land.

I suppose that I will get the same spiel from every Avocat even if one has a nicer office than then the other or whatever as they are all subject to the process and format of the greater judicial system

I have spoken to one so I will probably just stick with him as its not worth the stress of repeating my situation endlessly to be told the same thing at the end of the day. I went in all Gung ho and ready for battle but he seemed more concerned about why I couldn't find his doorway on the street...I restrained myself from shouting at him about the absence of a number on the door, better amble along with him I suppose.....
E Pluribus Unum - Out of Many, One

CelticRambler

Post by CelticRambler » Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:41 pm

If you're ever stuck for entertainment on a wet Wednesday, spending an afternoon at the Tribunal d'Instance gives an insight into the Way of Things Juridiques. I wouldn't say that it "inspires confidence" ;) in the system, but does help put expectations into perspective.

mysty

Post by mysty » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:04 pm

TGI is even better for entertainment as long as you are not part of the entertainment :lol: . You do get good French Lawyers the same way you get good ones in the UK. They are not cheap and the process is long. If its something simple its sometimes cheaper to just settle without going through the process.
It has changed recently unless parsnips corrects me you do get your costs back now if you win. In the past it was just lost money.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience