It's the Woodie Wood Pecker

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
vic evans

It's the Woodie Wood Pecker

Post by vic evans »

I put a screen up to try to stop the Jays nicking the birdy balls & this 'un turned up, did a quick inspection & dived right on it.

Tom

Re: It's the Woodie Wood Pecker

Post by Tom »

The squirrels nick the regular size fat balls chez nous. The giant fat balls last long enough for the birds to have a go.
God in his wisdom made the fly
And then forgot to tell us why.
—Ogden Nash

mysty

Post by mysty »

Your spoil your birds, I put them out most winters but not at this time of year. Just makes them fat and lazy. 8-)
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

vic evans

Post by vic evans »

mysty wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:09 pm
Your spoil your birds, I put them out most winters but not at this time of year. Just makes them fat and lazy. 8-)
They've all got young to feed so flying back & forth all day keeps 'em fit & fine.
No so many insects about these days so they're grateful for anything edible.
Edit, Just seen this. I put the mesh around these birdy balls to keep the Jays off & now Woodie has found it can sqeeze in. It's flying off with beak full of food at regular intervals so must have a nest close by.

mysty

Post by mysty »

vic evans wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 4:55 pm
mysty wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:09 pm
They've all got young to feed so flying back & forth all day keeps 'em fit & fine.
No so many insects about these days so they're grateful for anything edible.
Edit, Just seen this. I put the mesh around these birdy balls to keep the Jays off & now Woodie has found it can sqeeze in. It's flying off with beak full of food at regular intervals so must have a nest close by.
That right make me look cold and heartless 😜 Do not forget to feed the young ones
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

bubbles1

Post by bubbles1 »

We have Jays and Magpies and woodpeckers nesting inour lovely woods opposite every year and at this time we still put out fat balls for the little ones. None of the Jays to my knowledge have stolen any as they all hang from hooks and I havent noticed any missing. Lovely to be in bedin the early morning with a cuppa windows open and see the birds flying from the woods to the bird table
The truth is always the truth even if no-one believes it - a lie is always a lie even if everyone believes it

Jeff66

Post by Jeff66 »

Are baby woodpeckers called twig-peckers? :D

Spotty

Post by Spotty »

Tapas ?