Hosting via Air B&B?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Gigi

Re: Hosting via Air B&B?

Post by Gigi »

I hope all goes smoothly - and if there are any hiccups you could end up writing a book about your experiences! 😁

Loiseau

Post by Loiseau »

MotM

I did let out a gite in a small way many years ago, and I seem to remember that for the taxe de séjour you had to tell the Mairie not only how many nights' occupancy you had let, but also how many adults and how many children were staying (different rates). So make sure you keep a note.

Of course it might all be different now...

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Its a straight percentage now which usually works out more, if the accomodation is classified then you can remain on the previous but more complicated régime, you need to do a lot of business to recover the recurrent inspection costs.

CDH's cannot get a classification so they are shafted.

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Inspection costs 32€/year. We are normally booked for at least 22 weeks a year, So if by being classified we can increase our weekly rental by at least 1.50€ then its a no-brainer.

Doesn’t matter to us what taxe de séjour is as we collect it and then pass it on....

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

Its was about €350 here the last time I looked!!!!!!

Multiplied by 5 appartements it was a no go.

Maybe it lasted 5 years.

I would not expect being classified to bring me any business whatsoever, the Office de Tourisme take my money but find ever more inventive reasons to not show me in their guidebook that no-one reads anyway.

I pay the taxe de séjour, well I used to, they have whistled for it the last 2 years, first they voted in the change to the percentage scheme but only informed the hebergeurs of the change at the end of October but wanted us to pay it from January, the President is a friend of mine, he just shrugs his shoulders apologetically for the all female staff who he describes as "un heritage" so I didn't pay that year.

Last year they didn't send me the forms so I wait, this year they have paid another company to administer it on their behalf (he told me) but thats been kept secret, there is the new on line system where they want you to submit returns every month and they will bill you twice a year, except they wrote a very sh1tty letter telling us that Vous Devez............ which is never a good approach with me, I only fill in a tax return once a year and have no intention of jumping through hoops every month for them, I have 2 cheques for them together with the number of nuitées for 2018 and nothing but the cheque for 2019 but they have to ask for them and they probably wont.

I really dont think they have any business wanting to know my chiffre d'affaires every month especially as 2 of them are hebergeurs themselves, a conflict of interest and the reason why nobody ever gets any referrals from them, I only pay the taxe de séjour on my direct bookings and not the ones through Booking.com who are supposed to pay it direct except they aren't, I also dont pay it on my monthly rentals as they got their wording wrong, the President agreed with me and told me to do that.

Its unfair that CDH's cannot be classified.

Hal

Post by Hal »

And, you have declared your pool 'public' manonthemoon, yes? Or will you do the typical British gite owner thing of saying 'the visitor is really a guest friend of ours whilst using the pool'?

Beware when AirBnB say they will collect the taxe sjour - my local collectore still expects the gite owner to pay as they have never had, nor want, and communication from a letting agency on this..

Catrose

Post by Catrose »

Hal wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:09 am
And, you have declared your pool 'public' manonthemoon, yes? Or will you do the typical British gite owner thing of saying 'the visitor is really a guest friend of ours whilst using the pool'?

Beware when AirBnB say they will collect the taxe sjour - my local collectore still expects the gite owner to pay as they have never had, nor want, and communication from a letting agency on this..
That’s good to know Hal (not that we are likely to use AirBnB)

LD: classification last 5 years, so ours was 155€ In total. Different organisations charge different prices for classification..... Perhaps not in your appart’hotel business but for gîtes people do comparisons. As a classified gite it justifies the marginally higher price. And since we don’t keep the taxe de séjour it’s no skin off our nose to collect it, so not worht pissing off the tourist office who are helpful (if a bit incompetent)