Would you buy veg from a farm with a Covid outbreak

A place for some light-hearted chat.
Le Démerdeur

Re: Would you buy veg from a farm with a Covid outbreak

Post by Le Démerdeur »

The champagne growers are hoping that local people will be au rendez-vous for the vendange as they are not allowed to bring in their usual seasonal workers.

They must have some optimism :lol:

Come the second wave furlough payments will have to be earned by working under safe conditions on local farms picking and packing the produce.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I know a guy in his 40's who has the system completely worked out, lives on benefits in a lovely rented house that the hard working owners had to give up and move back in with their family because they get less from working than he and his now wife get from working the system.

He has only had one job in his life, 6 weeks fruit picking locally at Cappy the first summer that he left school although I suspect he only worked a couple of them, that would have been the last days of them ever being able to employ local labour, like everyone else thet had to build accomodation blocks and bring in foreign workers, like everyone else they wont be harvesting much this year.

exile

Post by exile »

niemeyjt wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 6:01 pm
exile wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 5:34 pm
I am not sure what the quibble is here N. If people don't pick and pack food it does not end up in the supermarket. Next step is food shortages. Or do you think the government have a massive food vault tucked away near the roots of the money tree?
My quibble is that you or I would have had to do a 14 day quarantine had we gone back to the UK before last Friday.

"Key workers" did not have to do quarantine.
I have seen nothing that suggests that these victims of the virus are non-British. I accept that they probably are but I think you inadvertently are showing some form of nationalistic if not racial bias. But please explain the difference between a nurse who lives in the nurses home attached to a hospital and a fruit picker/packer who lives in a workers' hostel attached to a farm. Education - perhaps. Level of income - sadly barely.

From the little I have picked up on UK procedures, the migrant workers (if that is indeed what they are) do in fact self isolate in England (cannot speak for the other nations and principalities) by staying within the farm confines for 14 days after arrival.

Oh and if you think that truckers don't congregate, visit a routieres restaurant any lunchtime of the week except Sunday (currently Saturday and Sunday). Or the autoroute shower cubicles between 04:00 and 06:30. Thou knaws nought lad.

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

exile wrote:
Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:43 pm
But please explain the difference between a nurse who lives in the nurses home attached to a hospital and a fruit picker/packer who lives in a workers' hostel attached to a farm.
Do they still have those? I thought they were all redeveloped by the late 80's

And even then they weren't bunk beds in dormitorys.

Today not even fruit pickers are allowed to be housed in those conditions, I watched a program with enforcement officers making the landlords get rid of large static caravans and install mobile homes bigger than my apartment and the rental ones.

Its a crazy old world where you can pay a lot of money to stay in a Haven holiday park home on holiday with your family but cannot be lodged FOC for a couple of months in one with one other seasonal worker.

exile

Post by exile »

Nurses homes still there in the mid 90s when I left the UK but today? Perhaps you are right.

lindal1000

Post by lindal1000 »

nursing accommodation is still provided but often just short term during shifts. So my nephew's partner could have stayed on site while she was doing long shifts, but at other times she went home, bringing whatever germs she had on her back through London on the underground. My other nephew's partner is a junior doctor and during the shutdown Uber gave them free taxi rides to work.