A place for some light-hearted chat.
niemeyjt

Jack Charlton RIP

Post by niemeyjt »

Aged 85.

Bald Eagle

Re: Jack Charlton RIP

Post by Bald Eagle »

Met Jack 30+ years ago. I was out walking somewhere in North Yorkshire with a friend Richard who has no interest at all in sport. Entering the obligatory pub at lunchtime we heard a chap talking and I recognised the voice. It was Jack Charlton and a couple of his friends having a break from trout fishing. Rich had no idea at all who he was and seemed most unimpressed with meeting one of only a few English Football World Cup winners. Had a great chat with him and his mates about the best beers in Yorkshire and Rich was appalled when all three of them said John Smiths. Rich hates the stuff! Fond memories of a great bloke! :)
“Never argue with a know-it-all. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

Veem

Post by Veem »

My cousin's daughter played charades with him at a party in Charlie Williams' house. Evidently he was quite miffed when she guessed 'On the ball' before he had the chance to mime 'ball' :D

I never knew that till today when she posted it on FB :good:

tim17

Post by tim17 »

Sat next to him at the 1988 Cup Final which for a Leeds fan like me was like sitting next to god, must have bored him silly asking about his time there but he never told me to shut up, he had an amazing life and was loved by everyone.

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

I watched him play loads of times, mostly in a good Leeds side. He was quite physical as was the the team generally despite their high skill level. I know he slotted into the national side but I wouldn’t put him down as a ´great’ footballer.He was decent at best imo Tim and helped out by some excellent teammates like Bite yer legs Hunter, Madeley, Cooper and Reaney alongside him at the back.

tim17

Post by tim17 »

He was always honest about his ability and actually had an amazing goal scoring record for a centre half.

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

Class man. Met him a couple of times. Memorably when about 8 of us were offered a lift back on the team plane from the '71 Fairs Cup Final first leg in Turin v Juve. Coach from Manchester Airport to Elland road with the team as well. Jack stopped the coach in Oldham and asked us what ice creams we all wanted before crossing the road to buy them. One of his team mates grumbled about wanting to get staright back "These lads pay our wages" he said, plus a few other choice comments! Which in those days the fans did!

TriciaF

Post by TriciaF »

That's sad news - he comes from Ashington which was only 8 miles from my hometown. Though I never saw him he was a local hero and his face is so typical of that coalmining area.
His uncle Jackie Milburn was the same type, I remember him playing for Newcastle the year they won the FA cup 3 times in the 1950s. Football was like a religion in those days. I wasn't an expert but the boys I went to school with couldn't talk of anything else.
I wonder why Jack Charlton didn't play for Newcastle?

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

Maybe he wasn’t considered good enough ?

treiziste

Post by treiziste »

I mean, many of that 1966 WC side were fairly ordinary players but Sir Alf got the balance right.

IMO