Is this guy missing his job too much?

A place for some light-hearted chat.
After the Storm 2

Is this guy missing his job too much?

Post by After the Storm 2 »

I have no idea if what he is saying is correct but if it is and he is a pilot, I hope he gets to go back to work soon :D

Hal

Re: Is this guy missing his job too much?

Post by Hal »

I must make a note to give Delta a big miss for my next visit... :D

Plog

Post by Plog »

:roll:

He is neatly demonstrating the problem with having to maintain a social media presence when the day job that your profile depends thins out..we have a few with that problem where I work.

Anyhow the vocabulary sounds right and the other stuff on his twitter feed looks genuine..

The use of the hoover itself adds credibility because there's an old joke (usually deployed when people start going on about "the glamour") that the one of the best ways for getting a feel for what the commercial pilot job actually actually feels like is to sit awake all night in a hard backed chair in a small cupboard with a hoover going full blast for added effect....maybe he's missing work that much.....

After the Storm 2

Post by After the Storm 2 »

Never heard of that plog but I thought it was rather cute with what he came up, made me smile. Hope he is one that gets to go back to work soon, from what I read after finding that clip there are many that won’t be. Job security is worrying in lots of professions just now, wish we were retired to be honest.

Plog

Post by Plog »

After the Storm 2 wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:24 am
Never heard of that plog but I thought it was rather cute with what he came up, made me smile. Hope he is one that gets to go back to work soon, from what I read after finding that clip there are many that won’t be.
As we know there's little sign of the epidemic being brought back under control in the States, so unless the Feds stump up some more money to bailout the transport sector a lot of jobs in the US will be going tis autumn..United Airlines have just put out a warning to staff:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/united-air ... -us-staff/
Job security is worrying in lots of professions just now, wish we were retired to be honest.
It look like our Union has negotiated potential compulsory redundancy (CR) numbers down to a few hundred, maximum, instead of the thousand plus that was initially predicted.

I'm lucky to be an old git and pretty much at the retirement point anyway, so can and will go slightly earlier than planned which helps reduce CR, but I know this is all a major major stressor for many of my colleagues, most especially the younger ones.

Hope it works out OK for you, ATB.

Hal

Post by Hal »

This is not a hit at anyone under job threat, but at the many who have lost jobs.

I wonder what Norman 'on yer bike' Tebbit would be selling it all now if he were holding the reins...

My dentist here - in a small town but 80kms away from Toulouse - cannot, and he is trying hard, to get a young dentist to come in and assist eventually to take over because the youngsters want to be near the bright lights. All this despite him having built a new surgery with all mod cons, a fully equipped modern surgery room and ready made patient base.

Apparantly dentists in the UK are closing up shop in many cases. I know someone who's goddaughter was laid off. She evne speaks some French and would not contemplate coming down here to take the job :shock:

So, like the car workers who voted leave and wonder why their jobs are at risk, I can see how many might lack sympathy...
Last edited by Hal on Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ally

Post by Ally »

Plog wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:08 am
:roll:

He is neatly demonstrating the problem with having to maintain a social media presence when the day job that your profile depends thins out..we have a few with that problem where I work.

Anyhow the vocabulary sounds right and the other stuff on his twitter feed looks genuine..

The use of the hoover itself adds credibility because there's an old joke (usually deployed when people start going on about "the glamour") that the one of the best ways for getting a feel for what the commercial pilot job actually actually feels like is to sit awake all night in a hard backed chair in a small cupboard with a hoover going full blast for added effect....maybe he's missing work that much.....
Being a pilot sucks? Surely not.

Nifty

Post by Nifty »

After dreaming of being a professional pilot, having read nearly all of the Biggles novels in my early youth, the reality of life finally caught up with me when I retired. I have been living the dream for more than forty years and have only just realised that it probably would not have lasted long had I succeeded.
Though, one never can tell.

Plog

Post by Plog »

Ally wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:02 am
Being a pilot sucks? Surely not.
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNxz2hhSXuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpHNOWasFfs

wilbro

Post by wilbro »

This always jars with me "I wonder what Norman 'on yer bike' Tebbit would be selling it all now if he were holding the reins...". He never said any such thing. He pointed out that when is father was out of work he got off his arse, cycled round and looked for a job. Nothing to do with "on yer bike".