Why are women so subordinate

A place for some light-hearted chat.
mysty

Why are women so subordinate

Post by mysty »

I am sitting here looking at eBay and am asked, Why are woman so subordinate in this day in age, 90% of woman take their husbands name.
Why do they take our names no feckin idea. :lol:
She needs to get a life or join a forum. ;)
Why do they still take the husbands name?
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: Why are woman so subordinate

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

It's not subordinate, it's following a tradition. A male and society-dictated tradition, true, but tradition nevertheless. Most female barristers, however, keep their birth surname (avoiding 'maiden name', another chauvinist term) when they marry, as they've achieved success with that name.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Veem

Post by Veem »

What gets me, is why do I have to adopt my maiden name here in France when I haven't used that name since 1973. So officially I'm A, but I'm actually D and haven't been B or C for several years. Yet I have no choice in which name I use.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Veem wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:13 pm
What gets me, is why do I have to adopt my maiden name here in France when I haven't used that name since 1973. So officially I'm A, but I'm actually D and haven't been B or C for several years. Yet I have no choice in which name I use.
Because France recognises that women exist apart from their men; you'll always have the same maiden name, no matter how many times you marry or divorce.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

Veem

Post by Veem »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:15 pm
Veem wrote:
Because France recognises that women exist apart from their men; you'll always have the same maiden name, no matter how many times you marry or divorce.
Yes, but I don't get to choose which name I go by and the one I am forced to go by is still dependant on a man - my father.

mysty

Post by mysty »

Veem wrote:
According to a notaire yonks ago.
If you get divorced with using your maiden name you can always be found if its subject to a houses sale or inheritance.

Jackie

Re: Why are women so subordinate

Post by Jackie »

I would think it’s a tradition that started when women became the property of their husbands when married.
Myself and Mr J are In a French Civil Partnership (PACS). I get to keep the surname that’s served me well for 55 years so far. Incidentally PACS was intended for same sex couples but most take up has been by hetero couples.

Timoth

Post by Timoth »

Maybe it is God given!🤪

Ally

Post by Ally »

Sally was Sally before she got pally wi" Ally in a chalet doon at Butlins camp in Ayr. I wouldn't let her take my name. I need it.

mysty

Post by mysty »

FrenchForumSurvivor wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:06 pm
It's not subordinate, it's following a tradition. A male and society-dictated tradition, true, but tradition nevertheless. Most female barristers, however, keep their birth surname (avoiding 'maiden name', another chauvinist term) when they marry, as they've achieved success with that name.
Looks like you should have said in your opinion about subordinate.
see below

"So how has a practice born out of women’s subordination to men remained so entrenched in an age of women’s emancipation?"

https://theconversation.com/why-so-many ... ast%20name