Bolsonaro

A place for some light-hearted chat.
exile

Re: Bolsonaro

Post by exile »

The problem is that if there is no herd immunity (and I fully accept that immunity might be short lived if it exists) then you have nothing.
People will catch the virus. Some will die. There can at best be a short term vaccine providing a degree of temporary immunity. If even that does not exist, then what? Europe certainly will have b***ered its economy for no purpose whatsoever. You have protected a health service that will see a continuous stream of victims and there is not really protected at all.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth »

jsks wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:12 am
The flaw on the herd immunity approach is that there is, as yet, no confirmation that recovered infectees are immune thereafter. Or if they are, how long it lasts.
The other issue is ,if like ‘flu viruses this one mutates ,we may end up with a useless vaccine and eventually a situation like ‘flu with epidemiologists best guessing what to vaccinate for on a year in year out basis,and then one appear from nowhere

jsks

Post by jsks »

In the worst case this virus will be a permanent feature leading to a Darwinian selection of human immunity.

exile

Post by exile »

In which case the historical question in 20+ years time will be, "Was lockdown worth it?"
Yes some lives were saved from C19 because the health resources were not overwhelmed, but against that will be the health impacts of lockdown - direct and indirect, plus the wrecking of the economy. Which brings me back to the point I made last night, history may just show that Bolsonaro did have the right approach. I do hope not, but we cannot discount that possibility.

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

I suspect the countries that manage the pandemic well will be the ones that recover their economies sooner and will be the long term winners in the global economy

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

That race was already won by China before the other countries even entered the starting box.

I bet they didn't pay people not to work and also paying them more on top to go and eat out and further spread the virus.

What next? Free pop concerts, football matches, anything with lots of people in an enclosed area?

rabbit

Post by rabbit »

Le Démerdeur wrote:
Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:40 pm
That race was already won by China before the other countries even entered the starting box.

I bet they didn't pay people not to work and also paying them more on top to go and eat out and further spread the virus.

What next? Free pop concerts, football matches, anything with lots of people in an enclosed area?
Perhaps, but there is a big anti China backlash brewing that might scupper their plans for world domination

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

If we accept the conspiracy theory then they have already hobbled America.

exile

Post by exile »

Well if you really want a conspiracy theory, the USA developed it and released it in China. Then spread stories about it coming from the research institute in Wuhan.
They have thus at a stroke built up a world suspicion against China and have destroyed the stable if not vibrant economy in Europe.

Two major world economic competitors put out of the game at a single stroke.

All nonsense of course but it's good to make up good conspiracy stories.