How quickly could someone get into your house

A place for some light-hearted chat.
FrenchForumSurvivor

Re: How quickly could someone get into your house

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

Back in the day when I knew a professional burglar, a hammer, a credit card, and a screwdriver were all he needed.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

mysty

Post by mysty »

niemeyjt wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:41 pm
Apparently a visegrip on the external part of those Euro-style locks and a sharp twist will snap it at its weakest point - where the securing screw goes through the already weaker part of the lock - not quite where yours broke.

We were burgled that way.
I read that years ago but a hammer is even easier. Zero damage to the door.
mysty1 the new up to date user friendly version for an enhanced user experience

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I don't think all the euro locks are that weak. A couple of years ago we drove down to Mrs. Aardvarks house in the Charente. Someone forgot the keys. :roll: I had a few tools with me including a hammer, nicad drill, crowbar, etc. Beat living hell out of the eurolock but couldn't make the bugger let go. Ended up handing the hammer to mrs. A to do the deed. Smashing the double glazed sliding patio door took four solid blows. :o
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

crakpot

Post by crakpot »

Up a drain pipe toss a few tiles around no tools less than a minute, for single glazed windows brown paper /old wallpaper a quick wipe with honey silently smash window :lol:

Londonclay

Post by Londonclay »

Many years ago I was on a bus when an old lady sat next to me. As I neared my stop I started to rummage around for my key, I couldn’t find it. Lost your key dear she said, I agreed, never mind I’ll open the door for you. She got off the bus with me picked up a twig put it in the keyhole and the door was opened. I couldn’t believe it she was 80 or more and that twig was quicker than my key.

Loup-garou

Post by Loup-garou »

I only need to concern myself when there is no moon!

Monsieur3seas

Post by Monsieur3seas »

having been burgled losing valuable and personal treasures in the 80's we are security conscientious. When we moved to France the insurance company came round and told us to change several locks - which we have done. We also have an alarm system. However, this wont stop determined burglars entering but maybe reduces impact/loss.

exile

Post by exile »

I am seriously worried about the company I keep here.

Far too many of you seem to know how to quickly and efficientlly break into a house! :lol:

Le Démerdeur

Post by Le Démerdeur »

I was all too often one of the first people invited to the house of people that had been burgled so I saw a lot of how people broke in.

The thing that obstructed most of the scrotes was the then new law of being equipped to commit a crime, they would usually rob on foot (no vehicle to be seen and the rego noted) and few people have a justifiable reason to walk around with Stillsons or a hammer, they would hope to use something stolen from an unsecured shed like a shovel to force a patio door.

Likewise with vehicle break ins, a tiny granite chipping too small to be found on a stop & search or which could be stuck in the tread of their shoes when thrown with enough velocity will break any toughened glass including patio doors without a lot of sound.

They would usually steal a holdall or even suitcase in the property to carry away the booty, I would advise people to check their lofts very carefully as many had gone to pack their cases on the eve of a holiday to find they no longer had them.

I rely on a good CCTV system and word of mouth as a detterent here.