What is it like on board Brittany Ferries at the moment.

A place for some light-hearted chat.
JohnnyD

Re: What is it like on board Brittany Ferries at the moment.

Post by JohnnyD »

I am assuming there is currently no limits on wine I bring back to the UK until Dec 31st? Bought a fair bit at the Intermarché this week with the current offer on (which i have posted in another topic) Has anyone had issues getting back into the UK with stuff recently?

JD

niemeyjt

Post by niemeyjt »

JohnnyD wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:01 pm
I am assuming there is currently no limits on wine I bring back to the UK until Dec 31st? Bought a fair bit at the Intermarché this week with the current offer on (which i have posted in another topic) Has anyone had issues getting back into the UK with stuff recently?

JD
"Issues" may be too strong a word, but I was pulled over at ET Calais for a check when back of car was piled high with stuff from father's house that I was taking back to UK. Cannot remember a previous check there.

Whether it was to see if I was being checked for duty avoidance (he did aslk how much money and gold I was bringing in) and he also asked about wine and ciggies (I only had 30 bottles or so) - or whether it was a visual to make sure there were no illegals in the boot - or maybe both. Anyway, after a brief chat I was on my way.

Franksgranny

Post by Franksgranny »

JohnnyD wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:01 pm

JD
We brought a boot full and then some, we weren’t stopped so no idea if there’d have been any reaction, customs were more interested in cars with trailers which appeared to be the main ones pulled over, which they appeared to be checking pretty thoroughly.

Annabelle's Papa

Post by Annabelle's Papa »

I travelled over yesterday on The Portsmouth Caen afternoon crossing, only 30 vehicles boarded, all were checked by customs, the guy said it was something to do as it was so quiet.

Really quiet on board, left early, arrived early, it seemed like most people stayed in their cabins, as I was on my own I chose reserved seating, which is free, didn't bother to find it, found a sofa plugged in my laptop and had to listen out to the announcement as I was sure they would dock and I wouldn't know when to go down to the car.

Good job they are being supported by the French Government...

Moody barman was watching French reality tv and makeover programmes, when I asked if we could watch the England Belgium game at 5pm, he gave his best gallic shrug and said he did not know how to find it. He must of sold 20 drinks all crossing.
The truth is everyone is going to hurt you. You just got to find the ones worth suffering for. Bob Marley

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

I think the two weeks quarantine on return to U.K. is putting lots of people off, I would have gone over again this month to do more work on the house if it wasn’t for that......

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

Would quarantine stop you from working on the house? Or would it mean you couldn't get out to buy materials?
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

JohnnyD

Post by JohnnyD »

Aardvark wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 11:46 am
Would quarantine stop you from working on the house? Or would it mean you couldn't get out to buy materials?
There is no quarantine going to France (last time I checked), that’s not the issue, it’s returning to the U.K. that is an issue for me, we have a dog and he needs walking 3 times a day

JD

Aardvark

Post by Aardvark »

I was thinking it was the other way around.
My mistake.
Having said that I have almost no understanding of what is going on. Listening to UK news with different areas facing many different restrictions with government changing its mind on a weekly basis, and getting French news via expat forums I tend to get things mixed and muddled. Thankfully we no longer travel and haven't gone further than 20 minutes drive for shopping at all this year.
Visit historic Barnard Castle. Lockdown day trips now available.

FrenchForumSurvivor

Post by FrenchForumSurvivor »

JohnnyD wrote:
Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:48 am
I think the two weeks quarantine on return to U.K. is putting lots of people off, I would have gone over again this month to do more work on the house if it wasn’t for that......
As a responsible person I'm sure you would self-isolate as far as reasonably possible on your return, dog-walking 3 times a day isn't likely to get you into trouble. It's not as if they impose a watcher to make sure no-one steps out of line.
"I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times." - Everett Dirksen

exile

Post by exile »

Sorry FFS
Lockdown is lockdown - you can walk the dog.
Quarantine is quarantine - you cannot leave the house for any reason except in the most urgent medical need and that does not include getting meds from the chemist.