Snakes

Whether it's a Caterpillar or Wolf this is the place to discuss and ask questions.
After the Storm 2

Re: Snakes

Post by After the Storm 2 »

Stompie wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:05 pm
Does anyone have any ideas for deterring snakes?
We have a beautiful whip snake who lives in the barn outside the garden, he is more than welcome to stay but his viper cousin who I spotted in the enclosed garden can bu**er off. I'm paranoid that the dog will meet him and come off worst. Yesterday the dog dived into the hedge and reappeared with a shed snakeskin. I'm all for live and let live but there's a limit on who I'm prepared to share my territory with and poor Spot needs to be able to have the freedom of the garden.
A few suggestions on this link https://www.fieldecology.com/blog/snakes-away, I liked this below if you don’t know anyone me with a mongoose :)

Install a perch pole. Hawks and owls are natural snake predators that can be attracted to an area with the aid of a well placed perch pole. Poles should be placed in open areas so the hawk or owl has a good view of the yard and surrounding area. Learn more.

After the Storm 2

Re: Snakes

Post by After the Storm 2 »

I just realised that with putting that suggestion up it might seem I’m anti snake which I’m not, seriously, but like you Stompie, I’d rather not have them bite Billy again or Demon so I keep the grass short and use small gravel a lot in the garden. I’ve never wielded a spade or harmed any that I’ve come across and will remember his other suggestion which is to scoosh with them a hose.